• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone aerate their tank when lights go out??

Vito

I've read many aritcles on co2 and that how much plants need in in our aquariums etc, but I dont hear much about aerating the aquarium during lights out, I know when the plants are in the dark they need oxygen and I have a really cheap pump connected to mine to keep the fish going otherwise the co2 would kill them. I am begining to think that maybe im not pumping enought co2 at night because the dropchecker is still yellow in the morning. This is what I have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-PUMP-FOR-AQUA ... dZViewItem

Im sure its underpowered and my spraybar is under the waterline to minimize surface agitation, does anyone use air pumps?

Vito

I have done in the past but find no need to do so now that I have a second spraybar agitating the surface, also my CO2 is on a solenoid so is off at night. DC is blue if I look in the morning (ie - before CO2 on again). This way I feel I get maximum oxygenation at all times with the trade off of losing a bit of CO2 during the day due to the surface agitation.

The only problem I had, was I lost a couple of fish (jumpers) after first putting it in, the only thing I could think of was the force of the air pushing up "helped" them out of the open top tank.

the amount of O2 plants use for respiration is minimal.

I am begining to think that maybe im not pumping enought co2 at night because the dropchecker is still yellow in the morning.

i take it you mean blue? what type of system are you using? (pressurized or fermentation)

I dont use an air pump, i just have a gentle ripple across the surface

The only time that I would aerate a tank is if my pump was going to be off for a considerable amount of time ie broken down or maint.

My view of DC are: if your DC is yellow when the light go off and stil is yellow in the morning - you are not losing any Co2 gas that mixed in the water, the other sinairo is if the DC is yellow at lights out and is blue when the lights come on all the co2 gas mixed within the water has been dissipated - you should loose some gas from the water due to surface ripple, so that why the dc changes colour - Yes ARRON.

Regards
Paul.

My answer is no............I aerate during lights on and lights off 24/7 :)

I have a fair amount of water turbulence and up the injection a little to compensate

AC

aaronnorth said:
the amount of O2 plants use for respiration is minimal.

I am begining to think that maybe im not pumping enought co2 at night because the dropchecker is still yellow in the morning.

i take it you mean blue? what type of system are you using? (pressurized or fermentation)

I dont use an air pump, i just have a gentle ripple across the surface
i meant o2 not co2 sorry, I think i will remove the pump because I have the ripple effect going on and im using pressurized co2.

any way not air pump it is.

thanks!
Vito

SuperColey1 said:
My answer is no............I aerate during lights on and lights off 24/7 :)

I have a fair amount of water turbulence and up the injection a little to compensate

AC

I do the same, I aerate day and night, while running Co2 24/7.

Rob

Flyfisherman said:
My view of DC are: if your DC is yellow when the light go off and stil is yellow in the morning - you are not losing any Co2 gas that mixed in the water, the other sinairo is if the DC is yellow at lights out and is blue when the lights come on all the co2 gas mixed within the water has been dissipated - you should loose some gas from the water due to surface ripple, so that why the dc changes colour - Yes ARRON.

Regards
Paul.

correct :)
The DC changes colour as the CO2 gasses from the aquarium, into the DC. The solution then changes pH (6.6 - green)

Back