• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone around here like to use an air powered vac?

bugs

I know most people clear the muck off the gravel when water-changing but I find it all a bit hit or miss - I'm either syphoning away the gravel, or the live leaves, or playing dodge the curious fish.

The point being that I do use an air powered vac and, because my tank is deeper than average, knocked together a rather crude home-made vac.

If there's any interest I'll post details.

LOL - it's not that good. It works but it ain't pretty and parts of it will probably be improved upon as inspiration strikes. The pics are largely self explanatory, although I've added some footnotes/specs after the photos:
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.jpg

04.jpg

Plastic tubes are:
Internal = 20mm with 2mm wall thickness.
Outer = 25mm with 2mm wall thickness.
Both available from these people: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/clearplasticsupplies/

The armoured cable shrouds are available from good electrical trade counters (although I think B&Q warehouse sell them too). You may have to buy a whole gland kit. The shroud has a closed end which needs to be cut at a point where it is a tight fit on the smaller tube. This provides the friction to ensure the tubes stay where you put them.

Just drill holes in the soup container to allow the filtered water to return to the tank.

I think that's it but shout if anything is not clear.

Back