• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone bought a large tank from Aquariums Ltd?

Nick16

hi guys, im 90% sure i will get a tank from A-Ltd (one of our sponsors) but i have seen different types of galss around the top of the tank. Imagine if ytou were looking down from above, i saw one with a glass lip riniing around the top of the tank (about 2inch from the very top). Then there were holes in the corners for the pipework. Is this the case with all large tanks from them (i have emailed them btw but no reply as yet.)
if anyone has ordered a large one from them, could they post a pic (looking down) im talking 4 feet or more, im personally
thinking about a 4x2x2) but :shh: ..... :lol:

That 'lip' is a brace to help stop the glass bending, but its not essential if the glass is thick enough. I got a 48x18x18 tank from TGM that is totally braceless, i.e. the only glass it has in that which forms the 'sides' of the tank. No holes or other bracing present at all.

I think I'm right in saying the TGM get their tanks from A-Ltd?

Sam

Aquariums Limited can make a rimless braceless tank @ 3m(w) x 60cm(h) x 90cm(d) if you like ;)

Look out for more info in the October issue of PFK....

if i bought it from TGM, it would cost around £500, A-Ltd charge £180, big difference.

so would a 4x2x2 need the glass support? i really dont like the look of it.

Dan Crawford said:
Aquariums Limited can make a rimless braceless tank @ 3m(w) x 60cm(h) x 90cm(d) if you like ;)
Well if they can make one 3m wide, by 60cm high and 90cm deep..........
Nick16 said:
if i bought it from TGM, it would cost around £500, A-Ltd charge £180, big difference.
Are you sure you've got that right? It's an awfully big difference for a standard tank.

I think your talking about bracing bars around the top of the tank.

Once you get to ceratain sizes, glass thickness and braces become increaingly important as the volume and weight of the water become an issue.

The guys at aquariums ltd are well experienced and i would take what they say as right. However, explain what equipemnt you have going in the tank and they will probably be able to accomodate it. :thumbup: As said earlier i am sure they can do a barceless 4ft however these things would be more expensive than a braced one.

As others have said, I think you'll find the difference in price between those two is the difference between a standard, braced aquarium and a braceless one with thicker glass.

If you can't afford the braceless option then there are some ways of hiding it, such as having a pelmet (such as those on Juwel tanks once you remove the lights) around the tank to hide this. It doesn't look as good as a rimless one though IMO.

baron von bubba said:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7266

paul.in.kendals tank and cabinet in the above thread came from there i believe.
it looks gorgeous.
The Baron is right - they did, and they are. Not cheap, but worth every penny, I reckon.

i will order one from there sometime today or tommorow. , thanks guys.
i just like the depth of a 4x2x2. Height is nice but most tanks (juwel ones) you get a max of 18", having 24 will be so nice.

I saw a rimless 250 litre opti-white being setup for marines this week made by Aquariums Ltd, and i was impressed by the whole package, included the cabinet too.

When mine is due for change, then i'll be buying from them too. :D

given the waiting list, I'd put the order in now :D

Back