• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone breeding Mosquito Chilli Rasbora?

JBFUK

Just wondering whether anyone in the South East (ideally Kent) is breeding these - or suggestions on how/where to find local breeders?

Tropco is quite local to me but to buy 20 is over £44 (and that's collecting in person) which seems way overpriced based on what I've seen others say they have paid for a large group of fish. I'd prefer locally bred stock to wild caught too, seems more sustainable.

Thanks.

Looks to be about the going rate unless you buy from ebay and the seller I saw is not the best,better to pay a bit more and get good stock :)
Prices of fish have understandably gone up a lot since Brexit and I don't think there are many people,if any,breeding them in numbers.

I don't think £2.20 is a bad price (you could ask if there is any more discount for 20 off), especially if you can collect them and avoid the typical £20 delivery charge and presumably select the individual fish you want. I have had one batch of fish from Trop Co in the past, and the quality of the fish was very good. I have had quite a few Chilli's from Kegrave Tropicals on eBay, and their quality has been good also, but you'll incur the additional £20 delivery charge making them more expensive than Trop Co.

Last edited:
Ok so it sounds like Tropco may be my best option. I have brought several fish from them in the past and they have mostly been of good quality. I'm not 100% set on the chilli rasbora yet but I do like their tiny size. I want something small that I can have a decent size school of. These tick that box, but I'm not sure whether they'll school nicely. Videos I've seen on youtube seem to display more of a shoaling behaviour than a tightly formed school cruising the tank together.

I wondered whether there was a forum where people sold/donated/traded stock from their own tanks that needed re-homing - whether that's because they were breeding in their tank or for other reasons. Kind of like cats protection for fish :) I usually take my excess fish (either because I want a change or they're outgrowing the tank etc) to the local fish shop, but, I'd rather donate/trade with other aquarium owners if I had the option - I'm sure it would be better for the fish.

Sometimes videos can be misleading too, people can spook the fish a bit to get them to group up for a photo or video.
I would classify them as poor shoalers, they like to take up their own individual little territories in thickets of plants.
If mine swim around in a cluster either I have forgotten to feed them, they have been scared, or there is something wrong with the aquarium.

That's good to know, thanks. I'll continue researching. It sounds like they behave similarly to my dwarf pencilfish. Another possible option is the lambchop rasbora.

Sometimes videos can be misleading too, people can spook the fish a bit to get them to group up for a photo or video.
I would classify them as poor shoalers, they like to take up their own individual little territories in thickets of plants.
If mine swim around in a cluster either I have forgotten to feed them, they have been scared, or there is something wrong with the aquarium.

Mine are fairly variable, sometimes they will swim through the longer plants together in small groups in little processions - particularly when hunting brine shrimp or moina (not saying they're dolphins or anything, but it definitely looks like a team effort sometimes) - other times they will be fairly well spread out in pairs or trios. Never all together in a tight shoal of all of them though.

@JBFUK In my experience fish only school tightly when they are scared - relaxed fish don't tend to do that very much.

wondered whether there was a forum where people sold/donated/traded stock from their own tanks that needed re-homing
You could try posting in the for sell section on here or I've used Band before. I expect band might be your best bet as there are several fish bands in the UK and probably some local to you. Facebook might be another option but I don't use it, so couldn't say for definite. I imagine you'll struggle to find someone breeding chilli rasboras in numbers though, as I believe they're quite hard to raise.

Facebook doesn't allow animal sales although I think a few groups fly under the guise of "rehoming" and so far are getting away with it.
Band is worth a shot as is Aquarists Classified although that's pretty quiet these days.
Don't think there are any fish clubs in your area that do auctions as far as I'm aware.

I brought 12 online, payed nearly as much for delivery as the fish themselves, put them in the morning and went to work, lights must of spooked them then they came on... came home to find out they decided to take there chances on the kitchen floor :(
I'd pop a cover of some sort until there settled in.

Gosh that's unlucky. Mine seem to have stayed in the tank although I have put the lid back on. The wider dispersal of light from having the lid off and lights higher was nice, but the rate of evaporation and need to top up several times per week was annoying.

Back