• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone else get rashes from floaters?

swyftfeet

I recently added a full surface of Frogbit, salvinia , Duckweed and Dwarf water lettuce from a local gentleman who dropped them off gratis, he gave me two gallon bag full of it all mixed together.

Since adding when ever I reach into the tank my arm gets a minor rash. I also started EI dosing the tank so I can't differentiate which could be the root cause. just wondering if anyone else gets a rash from floaters or ferts?

Hi,
Contact dermatitis isn't unheard of when coming into contact with either fertiliser or plants, probably not very common, but possible non the less.

You'd have to do a skin test to rule either in or out. Basically add something like a ml of your ei mix in a litre of water and pour a couple of mls of that diluted water on your arm, is there a reaction? Do the same with a selection of the floaters.

Seems extreme but it would definitively answer your question.

Cheers.

I have lots of Frogbit and an unbelievable amount of duckweed in both my tanks, and dealing with that sometimes cause a psychosomatic reaction :)

Joking aside, just make sure you wash your hands/arms with soap when done working on your tanks! same goes for chemicals/fertilizers etc. most of what we are using may cause skin irritations.

Cheers,
Michael

I don't get any allergies but I scrub hands to elbows before, during and after water changes.
I flea treated the cats today, so that's more hand washing before feeding the fish in case I've stroked one beforehand.
My hands look like a 90 year olds!

This is one of the reason why I hate duckweed. I get red itchy spot every time I'm dipping my hand in their tank.

Not freshwater but I had a friend that came out in a rash when they put their hand in any tank that contained a red goniopora coral. It was documented elsewhere that it was a "thing", so who knows what sensitivities some people may have.
I often notice in the garden that I come up with a slight rash/itchy patches when I brush certain plants. Pine tree needles really do it and comfrey makes me look like a blistered lobster.

Back