• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone else have jumpers?

Keetchy

So this is my first open top tank I've had and I'm worried about the shrimp climbing or jumping out of the tank. Does this happen often, any of you guys have jumpers in your tanks and how do you get around it? I like the open top look so would prefer not to stick a lid on it. I could get a piece of mesh cut to size for it but was wondering if its worth it or not. If its not a common issue then I won't bother getting mesh.

Hi bud, i’m new here. I can’t comment on jumpers but am currently building a guppy aquascape and they would happily jump out of the aquarium so i wanted an unobtrusive solution and this turned out really well. Its the ‘D-D Jumpguard’ £35ish from ebay i then sprayed it grey so it wasn’t so obvious. Its easy to remove for taking photos of the aquarium too as it weigh’s next to nothing. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 9044B969-8125-4689-B69C-C9A7A2EF8F22.jpeg
    9044B969-8125-4689-B69C-C9A7A2EF8F22.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 151
  • EFB13DA7-2855-4F45-849B-4759E4EA07FD.jpeg
    EFB13DA7-2855-4F45-849B-4759E4EA07FD.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 136
Hi bud, i’m new here. I can’t comment on jumpers but am currently building a guppy aquascape and they would happily jump out of the aquarium so i wanted an unobtrusive solution and this turned out really well. Its the ‘D-D Jumpguard’ £35ish from ebay i then sprayed it grey so it wasn’t so obvious. Its easy to remove for taking photos of the aquarium too as it weigh’s next to nothing. Hope this helps
I’ve got one of these and they’re great for fish however the gaps in the mesh are still large enough for Caridina and Neocaridina to jump through. It’s quite a rare occurrence though. If you’re going for Amanos they should be too big to fit through the mesh.

cheers

Conor

Having both open top and lidded tanks I have had jumpers in both with open top suffering worse esp for Amanos being climbers. In my lidded tank I have had them jump and get between the glass lids whilst other just happen to jump when doing maintenance and if you don't notice them they don't last long

I think often shrimps try to escape when water parameters are fluctuating, so it's more a problem to begin with before the tank is fully mature.

I also don't think there is necessarily anyway to 100% stop anything escaping. My background is more marine based and I've seen plenty of people lose fish even with those jump guards (admittedly very good guards) from the miniscule gaps around lighting mounts or pipework. It seems like firefish and wrasse actively houdini their way out.

The escape pathway is different. Fish are typically jumper, shrimp and snail are crawler. They are motivated to escape only if they are harressed, or unhappy with water conditions. Amano shrimp and nerite snails are escape artist, and will climb up cable or into filter, so can some hill stream loaches. My high tech fish tanks have glass lids. You lose some light intensity with lid but offset by capturing some fugitive CO2. My shrimp Bowles have open top with water filled up to the rim. With blanketing floaters, I have never had Ramshorn snail, Neo or Amano shrimp escaped, but I couldn’t keep Nirite snails which took break out to breath and dropped off.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. So far so good, I haven't had any shrimp succeed with escaping, dont even know if they have tried to be honest. I have just put 5 Harlequins in there so I will see if they try to escape. But I do like the look of that grating you have @Inked_aqua so I might give that a try if I get too concerned about it.

I would like to keep it open top if I can as I like the look of open top.

I don't have any fish or shrimp which are jumpers although about once a week I pick up a Nerite snail off of the floor and toss it back into the tank.

Back