• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone ever used...

johnny70

Soluble Angus Fertlizers, Potassium Nitrate??? I got sent this by mistake, looks like little brownish pellets, just wondering if it would be safe for aquatic use, I assume it will be, would the dosing be the same as powdered PN??

Johnny, if it's only KNO3 why would it not be safe? Is there anything else in it, like ammonia? The dosing levels would depend on the content. You need to be more specific about how much of what it contains. Does the box show this?

Cheers,

Just wanted to check TBH ceg, it came in a poly bag so no info on it what so ever, will try and get in touch with the people that sent it, but they are pretty useless TBH, took 4 weeks for them to send it, then it ends up being the wrong stuff :twisted:

Well, just about all terrestrial fertilizers are laced with ammonia. The nitrate source could just as easily be ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) as Potassium nitrate (KNO3) so the only way to be sure, in the absence of a product sheet, would be to mix a very dilute solution in deionized, distilled, or RO water and to then use your NH4 test kit (ugh!). Never assume that it's only KNO3. There are many nitrate sources...

Cheers,

yeah, will try that, I have found the company that makes it, but cannot get on their website, so I have emailed the people I bought it from to see if they can provide the MSDS as they have re packaged the product I thought they should provide something like that or at least a ingredient list on a label??

Right I made up a solution of 500ml of tap water with 6 grams of the Potassium Nitrate. There was a slight tinge to the ammonia test reading 0.25 or this could have also been the light in the house, nitrate reading was 20!

Well all bets are off when using tap water. Did you compare the readings with untreated tap as a control?? Try different concentration mixtures to see the spread of readings.

Cheers,

tap water was 0's across the board, which is normal for my tap water

Well if that's accurate (which I always doubt) then we can tentatively conclude that the product has an ammonia component... :idea:

Cheers,

Back