• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone figured out H.Pinnatifida?

Hi all,
........... but many of them are associated with only a small amount of labeled data. Even though each individual task cannot be meaningfully trained in isolation, one seeks to meta-learn across the tasks from past experiences by exploiting some similarities. We study a fundamental question of interest: When can abundant tasks with small data compensate for a lack of tasks with big data?........
That is a fundamental question, and one that is increasingly relevant in the age of "citizen science". Personally I think a lot of smaller pictures <"can help create the bigger picture">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I'm still undecided whether I want to do this . . .
I suppose the question would be: how much is all this worth to you?
We do need to be a <"broad church">.
I'm not keen on 'me too' posts

At risk of just making another "me too" post, but answering your question, I would really like to see your journal and hear about your complete method.
Im pretty new at this (successful plantkeeping), and really not married to any one method or approach.
If I wanted to hear ONLY about EI, I would probably go to barr report or something, to put it sharply ;)
One of the things I like about this forum is how open everyone is to each other and that it is acceptable to disagree on methods, and that is something we need to both fight for and protect. So to me personally it is worth a lot.

Even when things get a little bit heated for my taste (like this thread), there is value in the discussions, because each side presents the thoughts and workings around their method, making both methods easier to understand for an outsider.

Lastly, while I dont want to sound like anyones mom, I hope we can continue to maintain a civil tone so that the discussions can continue without devolving into a flame war. And I hope that the moderator team does not remove things simply because they differ in opinion, but only moderate based on what is or isnt good discussion etiquette. My apologies if this last part steps on anyones toes.

Need to catch up on this thread, my second batch of H.Pin is all but dead, it grows well at fist with mild holes and melting leaves then after serval months its like it runs out of something and then slowly over months gets smaller by a process of new growth and melting of older leaves and stems falling off.

Hi. My name's Simon. This is my first time here at Pinnatifida Anonymous. I too can't grow this for toffee. I have three stems left, all the original growth has melted away and the new leaves have algae squatters.
7423 - Hygrophila pinnatifida.jpg

I take solace from the large number of highly competent experienced people here who are also struggling to grow it.

Cheers,

Simon

5C9E1758-D098-40DB-8651-A8D18120C528.jpeg
389248B4-7595-4185-8067-78DB0FC1BF39.jpeg
B4FF3ECC-8744-4A3D-B3F6-0A38BC91038A.jpeg
2EDA05BF-FC90-4AF2-948B-2DA8F93BBF53.jpeg

Hi all, thought I’d jump on the bandwagon too!
I bought mine from Konrad early in November and they were doing well for the first few weeks.
Now most of the leaves have fallen off but it’s continued to grow, so much so that it’s above the surface now (the leaves seem to be happier out of water?!)
It looks like it has some new growth sprouting though so I’m not giving up hood just yet!
I’d love to get it right as it’s such a beauty as I’ve just seen in @Tim Harrison tank!
Cheers

@Sammy Islam looking good mate, and no signs of pin holes either. Looks like you're onto a winner, did you change anything in your ferts or just trim?
It's probably on this thread but i don't have the time to read through all of it

Cheers

Theres still pinholes but starting to look better. Up until last week i hadn't changed anything dosing wise, i used the month to trim any bad leaves and did double water changes a week as i turned down my CO2. This month is the real test really, i have reduced my micros in half using 0.3ppm FE as the proxy using APF trace, but kept my usable FE (dtpa and eddha) the same for now.

How are things going for you guys, any updates?

Im thinking of reducing my fe+trace dosing soon to see if I can alleviate very curly leaf margins, especially on my L. Super Red.

I also tested my tapwater with a liquid Cu test, does anyone know how accurate these are?
I suspect there is a lot of copper in my tap, we live in a very old house, around 150 years old, possibly more.
When tested with the JBL Cu test it gave a reading between 0.05 and 0.1 ppm.
Tank water with Prime tested 0.
I have lingering issues with my shrimp which is why I started to look into Cu.

I suspect there is a lot of copper in my tap, we live in a very old house, around 150 years old, possibly more.
Don't have an aged house, but I'm paranoid about shrimp and copper so I've been taking all my water from a cold water tap near the mains ingress, to minimize internal Cu pipework. I've been interested to see the number of people in these forums who use mixer taps to take pre-heated water for WCs some of which will have come from their internal water tank. They all seem to do just fine, so I might be being over cautious.

How are things going for you guys, any updates?

Im thinking of reducing my fe+trace dosing soon to see if I can alleviate very curly leaf margins, especially on my L. Super Red.

I also tested my tapwater with a liquid Cu test, does anyone know how accurate these are?
When tested with the JBL Cu test it gave a reading between 0.05 and 0.1 ppm.
Tank water with Prime tested 0.
I have lingering issues with my shrimp which is why I started to look into Cu.
I've been dosing half micros for a month now and i haven't really seen negative effects. If anything i have probably seen some positive results, but at the end of the day it's still anecdotal for now.

What have i noticed?
1) i have some stunted rotala again but i'm going to attribute that to lowering my CO2 before i started this thread rather than lack of micros as some of the rotala grow fine.
2) my p.helferi is doing better, i'm pretty sure theres less melting of the old lower leaves.
3) S.repens seems to he growning better in general, this is my new nemesis plant as growth is never consistant and some of the plantlets show different issues.
4) my epiphytes have been growing better too, normally the anubias and buce grow one leaf at a time, now they have been growing 2 or 3 leaves at a time.

Seeing as this thread is about H.pinnatifida, realistically i haven't seen any change from them. They are not any better or worse, still old leaves melting etc. So what i have done is raise my light (twinstar 900SA) a couple of CM to relieve the nutrient and CO2 demand put on H.pinnatifida and will report back.

Last edited:
Don't have an aged house, but I'm paranoid about shrimp and copper so I've been taking all my water from a cold water tap near the mains ingress, to minimize internal Cu pipework. I've been interested to see the number of people in these forums who use mixer taps to take pre-heated water for WCs some of which will have come from their internal water tank. They all seem to do just fine, so I might be being over cautious.
I use a python water change thingy so my water comes from my kitchen tap. I mix the water to the right temp (i can get it within a degree by feel) then feed it back to the tank while putting in a capful of prime thats been mixed with some tank water so the fish don't swim through the concentrated solution. I don't have any problems with shrimp, i have over 150 but weirdly i rarely see any monster shrimp, so either they die at a certain point or they are hiding baby machines.

Mine is loving life above the surface but not so much under it! Shame I haven’t got an open top tank!!

These are near enough the only leaves left on the plant, any ideas what could be causing this?
9E44D2AE-A1C8-43E1-8C05-D9CCDF19CC75.jpeg
FC21FC3D-D8D3-468E-8971-AA1C77498886.jpeg

Like a lot of so called aquatic plants they prefer to grow out of water, life is much easier with access to relatively unlimited CO2.
Now it's escaped immersion there's no need for it to expend precious energy growing immersed leaves.

Like a lot of so called aquatic plants they prefer to grow out of water, life is much easier with access to relatively unlimited CO2.
Now it's escaped immersion there's no need for it to expend precious energy growing immersed leaves.
So does that mean it's going to stay that way?
It looks great above the surface but i only get to see it once a week on WC day!!

I suspect there is a lot of copper in my tap, we live in a very old house,
It's usually in new houses (or new plumbing) that pipes release copper. Old pipes build up a coating on the surface so that the water isn't in contact with actual copper.

Back