• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone have their tank in an alcove/corner?

MDF must also be well sealed as it also absorbs and expands with moisture
I may end up using some mdf for the scribed faceplates and plinth around the bottom. But I’m in the habit of using moisture resistant mdf for most projects anyway, and quite familiar with the process of sealing and finishing the end grain

This is all MDF with a concrete effect screed made from self levelling floor cement. Waterproofed it with some patio sealant. Built with the aim to upgrade to a 90P down the line.
IMG_7804.jpeg
IMG_7805.jpeg

This is all MDF with a concrete effect screed made from self levelling floor cement. Waterproofed it with some patio sealant. Built with the aim to upgrade to a 90P down the line.
View attachment 159509View attachment 159510
Looks very smart! Thanks for posting this was just the type of thing I was hoping to see.

How wide is your alcove? And is that a 60p you’ve currently got on the bottom?

Nice to see you had the same thought regarding a slot for the pipework. Have you got your any vertical supports within the cupboard? I’m just wondering if I should be worried about the slot weakening the countertop ‘shelf’.

Looks very smart! Thanks for posting this was just the type of thing I was hoping to see.

How wide is your alcove? And is that a 60p you’ve currently got on the bottom?

Nice to see you had the same thought regarding a slot for the pipework. Have you got your any vertical supports within the cupboard? I’m just wondering if I should be worried about the slot weakening the countertop ‘shelf’.
No worries, it's a 60P in there at the moment.

The Alcove is 100cm wide by 36cm deep.

I haven't got a centre brace in as i thoroughly over built the cupboard, It not moved at all with the 60p. I would keep check if it had a bigger tank mind. I think any tank over a meter in length would 100% need extra support in the middle.
IMG_9538.jpeg

IMG_9540.jpeg

Last edited:
If using typical kitchen worktop of around 1mtr long you will need to brace/support it along the front edge and across the middle or two.
You are talking about placing 200+kgs on it, thats about 2-3 adults !

If you have ever carried a 3 mtr length of standard worktop you will know how readily it bows .
Also any cut edges must be well sealed as the chipboard core will blow out as soon as any moisture seeps on to it.

MDF must also be well sealed as it also absorbs and expands with moisture, though its horrible stuff to work with, dangerous dust when sawing etc and a total pain to paint and achive a decent finish, the end grain even worse.
I have carried a 3m length (very heavy!) just redid my kitchen :) It's on worktop at the moment, as have been a series of smaller tanks for the last decade or so, but there is a foot spare either side and trim at the back so the edges have never got wet. It has support on the front edge too (cupboard unit underneath). I'll probably go for solid wood for the new cupboard though, just from a aesthetic point of view, and it will have the cupboard structure underneath so it's supported all around - tying it into the wall is a bonus rather than sole support.

You can get quite a range of grommets designed for desks for wiring, might be worth having a look to see if there is anything to suit to give you a neat/protected edge.

No worries, it's a 60P in there at the moment.

The Alcove is 100cm wide by 36cm deep.

I haven't got a centre brace in as i thoroughly over built the cupboard, It not moved at all with the 60p. I would keep check if it had a bigger tank mind. I think any tank over a meter in length would 100% need extra support in the middle.
View attachment 159512
View attachment 159513
Looks very tidy and well organised under there, definitely given me some inspiration!

Do you have all 3 tanks plumbed into the same system?

Looks very tidy and well organised under there, definitely given me some inspiration!

Do you have all 3 tanks plumbed into the same system?
Two are hooked up to the same co2 supply, running independent solenoids though so on/off times can be tweaked individually. The top right tank was low tech untill my parter saw the benefits of co2, so that's hooked up separate.

lighting times are running off some universal smart plugs.

Happy to help! :)

Hi @bushaaayyy,
love an alcove tank, they can look spectacular as @J-Bonham has illustrated with their beautiful display.
One thing I would consider if putting in the largest tank you can fit in is painting the outer rear and end panels with a suitable type of paint, be that black, white or blue....or whichever colour you wish. Without room to clean the external panes you will inevitably get water drips which will annoy you if you can see them, painting them will prevent this.
Personally I don’t mind seeing smaller tanks in alcove spaces, especially when they have been well thought out and planned as you are doing. @J-Bonham has the slot you were considering which is great, but also the use of the copper pipe for example as a decorative element to hide the power cable to the upper shelf is a great touch. I don’t necessarily think you will be adding the upper shelf tanks, but negative space beside a smaller more accessible tank can be used to your advantage with a house plant or suitable ornament.....even a book display or fancy tool stand. Both approaches can work but personally I always feel more comfortable with a bit of wiggle room.
Good luck and please keep us informed of progress, it will be great to see what you do.
Cheerio,
Ady.

View attachment 159509View attachment 159510
Without wanting to hijack @bushaaayyy post, I would just like to say what a stunning display area you have created. The planning and execution are excellent with some cool scapes to boot.
Cheerio,

That alcove is fantastic!!

im in a similar position to the op in respect of thinking and planning. This thread has been helpful. A drilled tank is definitely the correct way forward for me I think.

I need pre-made - my house renovations are ongoing so I cannot dedicate that much needed time to an aquarium cabinet! (At least I cannot justify it to my wife!)

mum keepibg my eye out for a fluval f90

Back