• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

anyone on the forum work in arb hort or landscaping?

Angus

just wondering? im on an arboriculture (tree surgery) Apprenticeship myself, just wondering if any other planted tank enthusiasts work with plants on a day to day basis? Regards, Angus.

yep....garden manager for a 2 acre rock garden. Those who have ventured to Brighton down the A23 may have noticed the garden right opposite Preston park.

Been a gardener for 28 years now, man and boy and i've tried everything from interior landscaping (with Rentokil Tropical Plants) to working with bowling greens.

But my real passion is with exotics....tropical plants and i used to look after the massive palm house with Brighton parks and gardens. Love my propagation to and was propagator for the same lot about 10 years ago.

My one aim, when i eventually get round to sorting the conservatory out is to set up a 4 foot long x 6 foot high x 2 foot wide paludarium with lots of epiphytes and orchids and a fish section at the bottom.

Got loads of pics if anyones interested.

Andy

nice did you look after any of the stuff around the brighton pavillion? sounds like you've had a lot of experience with plants hehe, im only 5 months into my apprenticeship and still have everything to learn, still getting to grips with latin names and trying to remember them lol, post some pics if you want :) would be nice to see the kind of oddities you've seen over the years.

lol nice one, thats what saturdays are for pigging out, having a drink n relaxing lol.

I used to be a Garden Designer and grow and sell rare hardy perrenial plants, but I'm a teacher now.

Started working at a plant nursery part time when I was 15.
Left school at 16 and went straight into Horticultural college at Capel Manor in Enfield for a full time 1 year several courses course :lol: Worked for about a year after that for a houseplant maintenace company in and around London. Then went to work at Saffron Walden Golf club as an assistant greenkeeper until 1995, left there and went to Heydon Grange Golf Club as a 1st Assistant greenkeeper, was there for about a year until I went back to SWGC as a Deputy Course Manager. And I am still there and loving almost every moment of it. And yes I am trained to use chainsaws too 8)

im at capel manor in enfield myself too, its a good college, i do 4 days work 1 days college a week.

Yea it was a good college when I was there in 1986-87 :wideyed: Went to do some of one of my courses at Theobalds too. Christine Walkden my tutor can be seen on the one show on BBC1 quite often. I spent 5 days a week there and worked all day Saturday at a local garden centre. Been to a few other colleges over the years to study various horticultural courses too.

Back