• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone tell me what this is ??

tim

Afternoon folks, found this little bug chilling out on my lampshade, just wondered if anyone knows what it is.
15259601979_11a194c343_c.jpg

Cheers tim.

:) I quite like moths, we go on walks looking for them realy all you need is a bright bulb in your garden :D but we take the boys bat detector with us.

Hi My Grandson 7 Likes Moths and butterfly's Well anything to do with nature :cool: He started to collect caterpillars this year then looked after them.Then watched the process of caterpillars to pupa to moth :D Here a photo of one of the moths that he hatched.So far he has hatched about 6 this year. He even took them in to school to show his teacher She was Impressed :)

004_zps1e013d69.jpg

:cool::D:)

004_zps1e013d69.jpg[/quote] beautiful markings on that one :) there certainty not as boring as some think. If you look between the twovdark triangle but don't zoom into far it looks like an old Japanese guy with a long beard.......well it does on my phone anyway.:D

Afternoon folks, found this little bug chilling out on my lampshade, just wondered if anyone knows what it is.
15259601979_11a194c343_c.jpg

Cheers tim.
Me, me! I know this one... (I used to research on micromoths at the University). It is a microlepidoptera from the Pterophoridae family.
Not easy to identify probably without genitalia observation.

Jordi

Hi all,
The Plume moth is probably Amblyptilia acanthadactyla*, but as Jordi suggested they often need "gen. det." You could have a look through the photos here: <http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/systematic.php#Pterophorinae>.

* nine years on (2024) it is definitely Amblyptilia acanthadactyla

The macromoth is an "Angle Shades", which is a moth that you often find in the garden etc as a caterpillar.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
That link you put up darrel is one huge list of moths I didn't realise there was so many:) handy too cheers.

The Scarlet Tiger flies during daylight too, which help to spot it.
I keep one corner of the garden pretty wild, it's all nettles;brambles;log piles & mature ivy.
They seem to like it

Hi all,
The Scarlet Tiger flies during daylight too, which help to spot it.
I think it is the males looking for females, we had loads in the garden and they had a mad half hour every evening where they flew around in a big swirling mass. Judging by the colours I assume they are fairly toxic and don't worry about birds etc.

The Scarlet Tiger caterpillars feed on any members of the Borage family, things like Comfrey (Symphytum), Forget-me-not (Myosotis), Anchusa etc. this year there were loads of caterpillars in the garden (and in Corsham generally) and when they had eaten all the "Borages" they moved onto mint (Mentha) and a climbing Rose ("Parkdirektor Riggers").

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back