Anyone tried Easy-Life EasyCarbo?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by CJ Castle, 29 Oct 2007.

1. CJ Castle

CJ Castle Newly Registered

Hi,

Just had a quick look on AE and saw a product which was new me... Easy-Life EasyCarbo...

Does it achieve the same results as Flourish Excel? Is it more effective? Generally, what is your experience with Easy-life products? (If you have any experience with Easy-life, that is... ;) )

2. beeky

beeky Member

I noticed it too. It's cheaper than Excel, but only just. It's still a very expensive way to go. I don't know how effective Excel is anyway. I never saw any pearling while using it on a 3' tank with two T5s.

3. Ray

Ray Member

Yes, I've been using it for 2.5 weeks in my little 25L with 13w light, without CO2 but with the Easylife ferts. The 0.5ml dose means the bottle will last me 18 months so its cost effective and minimal fuss. When I add it the plants release tiny oxygen bubbles you can hardly see. My pigmy chain sword is growing new leaves, its not as fast as under C02 but a lot less fuss and much less pruning. I like it.

4. Maximumbob

Maximumbob Member

it will be interesting to see how this product goes down. I'm really attached to my Exel because of its algaecidal properties...

5. Ray

Ray Member

Do we know if the ingredients are the same? Can anyone tell us the biology/chemistry involved?

6. Maximumbob

Maximumbob Member

7. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Just bought some from AE so hopefully it'll help get rid of the BBA!
    Nice to hear about the minimal dosing rates! The 500ml I've bought will last ages then!!!

8. Maximumbob

Maximumbob Member

I have been perusing the easylife website and came across this product:

http://www.easylife.nl/english/index.html?id=06

a 'fluid filter media'

Would any of our more chemically aware members care to highlight exactly what this does. It sounds like a re-branding of a flocculant to me, maybe with a few added extras.

One thing which does appeal across the range is the price and dosage regimens. It could mean that this product is very economical.

Comments please. (cause i'm thick)

9. Ray

Ray Member

You took the question off the tip of my tongue Maximum Bob. The bit I particularly like is "children can even drink out of the bottle". What is it and what does it do?

10. fishgeek

fishgeek Member

all those great clais make me think snake oil, hey i dont know i am just cynical

just because something is natural doesnt make it safe
    claims to contain no chemicals no bacteria and no organics..! what does it contain and if it is inorganic how is that natural? maybe just me beingpedantic in my use of the word organic, again?

claims to be an adsorbent , and doent really explain how much it can adsorb and whether that process maybe reversabe at any (even if unlikely in aquaria) set of parameters

sounds almost to good to be tru

anyone know anything factual about it rather than just the advertising literature?

andrew

11. Maximumbob

Maximumbob Member

I've just been to AE website... Tom Barr popped over and said Easylife Carbo HAS got gluteraldehyde in it...

Damm.. and I've just bought a 500ml bottle of Excel.... wouldnt mind trying it out!

12. zig

zig Member

I've been using it on and off for over six months and to all intent and purpose its exactly the same as Seachem excel, it definitely works as an algaecide if that's you main intention using it, I find spot treatment always works best for me treating algae this way.

13. CJ Castle

CJ Castle Newly Registered

Cheers, all...

I think I may give it ago, it sounds like a pretty good product...

14. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Given the smaller dosing rate, anyone know what the algae dosing rate would be? I.e. excel is 3x, would this still be 3x?

Sam

15. Ray

Ray Member

I use it daiy so I'm happy to try spot dosing and report back - do I just spray from the syringe onto the affected area to spot dose?

16. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

As i understand it yes

17. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I've been using this for a week now so thought I'd update.

I'm adding 1ml a day to my 5 gallon Cube and it's already knocking back the BBA. Finally, something that kills it for me! I measure 1ml in a pipette and then suck up some tank water as well to dilute it slightly. Then I squirt it over the worst affected areas each day and it has really knocked those bits back. It does seem to have discoloured, maybe killed, one of the Java fern leaves though that I applied it to. It's not having as large an effect on the areas but it does seem to be starting to die off there too.

18. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Cheers Ed

19. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

It's the same as Excel, although their dosing instructions differ slightly.

I've spot dose BBA successfully with it already.

The other Easy Life product mentioned earlier in the thread, "liquid filter" is zeolite in a liquid suspension. JBL Clynol is the same.

20. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Do you kknow how it differs George? And what that means for overdosing? Its much cheaper