Anyone used black lava for hardscape?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Stu Worrall, 27 Jun 2009.

1. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

Im getting a new 90cm tank in the next few months and have been looking for a different hardscape to put in it. Its replacing my rio 125 which currently has the blue/green schist from TGM but I fancy a change and ive got an idea for a rolling/sloping mountainscape, a bit like a chinease valley so want to build rock up to the sides of the tank.

Whilst looking around Ive seen some black lava which has some really nice (mountainy) shapes to it. I think it would contrast well with the green mosses and plants but has anybody here ever used it and are there any pluses/minuses to using it?

This is one i found on the net that Oli knott has done but tis red lava from here http://www.pbase.com/plantella/naturesoilstepbystep3

112930266.lkO8Ho8l.NatureSoil_Step22.jpg

2. Stu Worrall

just a free bump for this, has nobody here used any black lava?

3. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

Google throws up loads of it for sale but doesn't come up with much about people actually using it.

4. Stu Worrall

yeah i had the same problem. im sorted for my next hardscape fopr the moment so might consider it for a future scape thats a bit different