• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone want a DIY Reactor?

Tonser said:
Hi Ed

Count me in for one too ! With 16mm tails please, and with a 400mm long tube. Also would there be a benefit to having a 180 degree ubend at the bottom of the tube instead of the elbow, as I guess that outlet will be heading straight to the tank above ?

Thanks

Tony

Great, 2 to go!!!

I reckon that a 180 degree bend back up may allow the gas to collect up which is why I left it at 90 degrees. But I'm happy to add an extra 90 degree bend in if you want one.

LondonDragon said:
Hi Ed, if you can price up a complete ready assembled reactor I would be interested in keeping one for when I upgrade my external filter, Thanks

That's the same price mate. Not charging for labour. It'll be £25 plus postage at cost to you once I've assembled it.

Well Paulo and another Tony who's PMed me makes 5 so this is going ahead. I'm not going to order the stuff right now as I can make up to 10 reactors and will have to order the parts all together. Also, before I order I will contact you all by PM to double check the hose sizes you want to have and all the other specs just to make sure you get exactly what you want.

I want one too! I'm not sure my Tetratec EX700 will be strong enough for it... any ideas, Ed? I don't have enough cash for a better filter just yet, so I'd better go 16mm with 12mm reducers...

Tonser said:
Thats great thanks Ed - dont worry about the 180degree return, I'm sure you've thought it all through and come up with the best design !

Please let me know when you would like to be paid, and how.

Thanks

Tony

Cheers Tony. I'm certainly pretty sure I have based on reactors I've seen and my old one.

As for money I'll order all the stuff and we'll sort out cash once they're ready to go, be easier that way for me.

JAmesM said:
I want one too! I'm not sure my Tetratec EX700 will be strong enough for it... any ideas, Ed? I don't have enough cash for a better filter just yet, so I'd better go 16mm with 12mm reducers...

No probs mate i can make at least 10 out of 5m of pipe!!!!

I ran my old reactor with an ancient Fluval 203 so I don't think you'll have a problem. The only issue might be CO2 build up after the reducers if the flow's that slow, but I don't think it will be. Might be best to have 12mm hosetails and 12mm tee rather than the reducers. then if you want to change it for 16mm you'll just need new 16mm hosetails and a 16mm tee. Or I can buy them both for you now if you want? It'll be 62p for the hosetails and £1.95 for the extra tee.

JAmesM said:
Yeah, ok mate, we'll go with your idea of the extra bits. How soon are you ordering the parts?

It will be this week. I'll give a couple more days to allows anyone else who would like one to say so. Then I can order the parts all in one go. They should arrive early next week and I will make my one up to check everything works as it should (it will but I'm just being extra cautious!) and then I will make yours next weekend. Then I should post them out week beginning 19th January if that's ok?

I can make up to 4 more people! :D Shout up if you're interested!

Ed Seeley said:
JAmesM said:
Yeah, ok mate, we'll go with your idea of the extra bits. How soon are you ordering the parts?

It will be this week. I'll give a couple more days to allows anyone else who would like one to say so. Then I can order the parts all in one go. They should arrive early next week and I will make my one up to check everything works as it should (it will but I'm just being extra cautious!) and then I will make yours next weekend. Then I should post them out week beginning 19th January if that's ok?

I can make up to 4 more people! :D Shout up if you're interested!
Perfect mate - I might have a new filter by then with a bit of luck! :)

Anyone know of a cheap FX5? :lol:

Let me know on this thread guys if anyone would be interested. Once I know whether there's demand or not then I can look at whether it'll be viable.
They've gone mad!, excellent idea. I'm happy to pay over the cost for a ready built reactor like this (although I don't want the first untried, untested, unwatertight prototype). I'm [quietly] excited about the whole idea and this will spur me on to get the upgrade on my tank.

I'm happy for you to build this for me as you'll surely do a better job than me. As a disclaimer, on your behalf, I am will accept full responsibility if it leaks all over the new carpet and blows all the electrics in the entire village (hint, hint ;) )

Ha ha Simon! Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!! :lol:

Seriously, unless you specifically ask, I will seal the threaded fittings with silicone I think, just to make sure there are no leaks. Looking at the price of a tube it'll be worth it and it will easily remove when/if you want to undo the threaded fittings. The PVC solvent welded joints will be bomb proof, almost literally!!!! :lol:

I'm glad I've got enough to go ahead with this as I'm pretty excited at getting them made!

Melbourne Grand Prix isn't until 29th March - How many can you knock out between now and then? :lol:

simondoherty1 said:
Melbourne Grand Prix isn't until 29th March - How many can you knock out between now and then? :lol:

Ha ha! Too many!!!! But will only have enough pipe for 10ish! Unless so many people want them after seeing the first batch that I make another 10!

LondonDragon said:
I was thinking about buying an external pump just for the reactor, any ideas what would be suitable? cheers

I've actually been considering the same thing recently. I've not looked myself, but would be interested in anything that'd be suitable. It'd have to be cleaned regularly though i suppose.

Another option I was wondering was whether you could add a pump inline along with the reactor and filter (with built in pump) to increase the flow rate ? This would save having to have another out / in let in to the tank, but would it cause the filter damage if water was being pumped into or sucked out of it with another pump ?

Tony

I wouldn't put a pump in series with a filter. You will be wasting power at best running both and possibly even cause cavitation as the pump or filter tug against each other.

I'd fit a pump on a separate, enclosed loop just like it's an external filter with an inlet pipe feeding down to the pump and then pumping the water into the reactor and back to the tank. To be honest I never found that a reactor affected the flow that much when I had my old one. By avoiding any tight bends in narrow tubing and not restricting the flow at all I don't think it makes too much difference! The problem is some commercial reactors I've seen have very tight or 90 degree bends in small diameter tubing that will restrict the flow.

was just think about it since my filter is not that great Eihem 2224 and would be better to keep it separate for now until I upgrade if I ever do! Looks like I will when it breaks lol

Back