• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone want a DIY Reactor?

I've sent those 5 who want a reactor a pm ready to order the stuff as soon as I get replies.

If anyone else is interested you need to let me know in the next couple of hours.

Right I've confirmed with the 6 people who want a reactor, plus mine so I'll be making 7 altogether! There will be a couple with slightly different specs so it will be interesting to see how the different versions work! Including one with a bend at the top too.

All the stuff has been ordered now guys so it should be arriving at mine during the week. I will probably start a new thread with pictures as I start making my reactor next weekend so you can all see it.

All the stuff is ordered but some pieces are out of stock at two suppliers! :twisted: Apparently they may be as long as 10 days guys. I'll keep you informed as soon as I know anything.

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
No worries, Ed :)
No rush mate, just look at the latest photo of my tank and you will see I won't need it yet lol

Cool guys, thanks.

I see what you mean Paulo! Be looking good once the AS and new scape goes in though mate!
If you're after plants in particular let me know - I have a few unusual ones knocking around the place!

Damn, can't believe I missed this thread! :twisted:

Only found it via links from other reactor threads :rolleyes:

I'm seriously considering switching to a reactor as they're meant to be more efficient and this would have been ideal. The only worry I have is that my current filter wont be up to the job. It's an Ehiem 2213 (Pump output 440l/h, Filter circulation 390l/h, Delivery head 1,50 m Ws)

I'm also a little confused as to where the CO2 goes in, your old thread said you tried to put it in the flexible tubing directly but that it didn't last.

Anyway if you end up making a second batch then please let me know :)

Sorry you didn't see it Egmel. I will have enough clear pipe left over but would have to pay extra postage to order the extra bits you would need so probably not viable to do one more, sorry!

Well I'm still waiting for parts so haven't even got round to assembling the first batch! I am assured that they should arrive this week.

The CO2 will be injected into the water flow ahead of the reactor via a tee piece. This means the CO2/water mix enters the reactor already beginning to mix and I found it did a great job in my last reactor.

Ed Seeley said:
Sorry you didn't see it Egmel. I will have enough clear pipe left over but would have to pay extra postage to order the extra bits you would need so probably not viable to do one more, sorry!
Well if any one backs out then you know who to contact, alternatively if you get enough interest for a second batch :D

Ed Seeley said:
The CO2 will be injected into the water flow ahead of the reactor via a tee piece. This means the CO2/water mix enters the reactor already beginning to mix and I found it did a great job in my last reactor.
Cool, sounds like what I expected it just wasn't on the original diagram.
spider72 said:
Hi guys

For those who don't have DIY skills:

Cost around 7£ + p&p but not sure that seller is shiping to UK.

http://www.allegro.pl/item538499453_dyf ... _zewn.html

Hope, translation not needed :lol: ;)
Looks funky but I like the idea of Ed's without the bio-balls in there as it doesn't reduce the flow as much.

Egmel said:
Looks funky but I like the idea of Ed's without the bio-balls in there as it doesn't reduce the flow as much.

Agree about bio-balls.

Some guys are using water filter housings as CO2 reactors, and they are claiming 100% CO2 diffusion with no bio-balls. I think that is possible to buy filter housing for about 10£. Some guys are puting heater to the reactor at the same time, see pictures.

Pictures taken from: http://www.roslinyakwariowe.pl/forum/vi ... hp?t=20353

spider72 said:
Some guys are puting heater to the reactor at the same time, see pictures.
Now that's an awesome idea! Like a mini sump but without the gassing off of CO2 instead you have the adding of CO2. :D

Well nearly all the bits have arrived and hitch number 2 has made itself clear! The 16mm fittings are the right size for 12mm pipe not 16mm!!!! Not a big problem as I'm just going to order the 20mm fittings which will fit the 16/22mm pipe perfectly! They're a very tight fit so there will be no leaks at all from these!

This means I can order extra bits to do a reactor for Egmel; anyone else want one before I place the new order tomorrow?

Apart from that I'm just waiting for the tees so I'm going to start putting the first one together this weekend and trial it out using my old Fluval filter with the 12mm fittings. So it's all go this weekend!!!

Pictures will follow Saturday or Sunday!

Ed Seeley said:
This means I can order extra bits to do a reactor for Egmel
:p Woot! .......... *ahem* :oops: ............ I mean yeay! ;)

Back