• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone want a DIY Reactor?

Tonser said:
Hi Ed

Can i have another one please, if you are ordering more bits ? As you have seen I've decided to plant out my Discus tank, so an inline reactor on there would be great.

Thanks

Tony

Not a problem mate. Will order the bits for your extra and Helen's tomorrow morning. Will have some pictures tomorrow to whet your appetites too!!!!

Yes, yes, yes!..
A LOT of pictures and a full forensic report on the inner workings of this beast, if you don't mind. :) I bet quite a few UKaps'ers are watching this space. You do know you're gonna have to make a second batch? :lol:

Extra parts ordered and I'm going to start making the first one up now! Will be taking lots of pictures so will upload later.

I'm making 9 now so nearly all the pipe will be used up! Cheers guys. :D

aaronnorth said:
just looking at the picture thread and it looks quality, is there any reason for it being 50cm though? seems a little large to me although i have never seen one before.

Thanks.

Apart from the fact that 50cm was a tenth of the 5m there's nothing special about it's length really!!! The extra length will allow very high bubble rates to be injected and should ensure that no bubbles go back to the aquarium.

Piemonster said:
Will there be a second batch at all if there's enough interest?

There might be if 10 people want them. It won't be worth me doing any more and having spare pipe! I think I'll have to see how this batch go first as I'm still checking their operation before commiting to anything though.

Well if all goes to plan, and if there is enough interest from others, put me down for one please.

Ed Seeley said:
aaronnorth said:
just looking at the picture thread and it looks quality, is there any reason for it being 50cm though? seems a little large to me although i have never seen one before.

Thanks.

Apart from the fact that 50cm was a tenth of the 5m there's nothing special about it's length really!!! The extra length will allow very high bubble rates to be injected and should ensure that no bubbles go back to the aquarium.

I may be interested too if there is a second batch. Although i am still unsure on the size as i recall it is a total of 65cm in length? The cabinet is only 70cm! :lol: Is there any chance it could be cut in half or is that making things hard for you? 32.5cm sounds a lot more reasonable to me.

Sorry to be a pain :lol:

Thanks.

If I do make a second batch I'll be able to make them any length you want!

Just let me get the first batch out of the way first! :lol:

I made my own reactor, very similar design to Ed's. In fact Ed helped me to source some of the parts, so it looks real similar as well. To say it worked well is an understatement. It works amazingly, almost killed all my fish and had to turn my bubble rate down by a 1/3 or so when I installed it :D .

Ed -I had similar problems getting the right tubing sizes, and even when I did I found I got leaks if I flexed the tubing too much. For peace of mind (rather than just relying on a tight fit) I used two jubilee clips to secure the hosing at the top and bottom of the reactor.

I am quietly confident Ed will get requests for another 10 once the feedback from the first 10 comes in....

a1Matt said:
Ed -I had similar problems getting the right tubing sizes, and even when I did I found I got leaks if I flexed the tubing too much. For peace of mind (rather than just relying on a tight fit) I used two jubilee clips to secure the hosing at the top and bottom of the reactor.

Which sized hosetails did you use? I've found the 16mm ones are perfect for 12mm Ehiem tubing without a jubilee clip and the 20mm ones a great fit for the 16mm Ehiem tubing. However Jubilee clips will certainly give an extra level of security that's for sure.

Ed Seeley said:
a1Matt said:

Which sized hosetails did you use? I've found the 16mm ones are perfect for 12mm Ehiem tubing without a jubilee clip and the 20mm ones a great fit for the 16mm Ehiem tubing. However Jubilee clips will certainly give an extra level of security that's for sure.

The tubing is Eheim 16mm but I can not remember the size of the hosetails. I remember being shocked by how it could leak even when the fit was so tight. Jubilee clips are so cheap that it was a no brainer to put them on. The peace of mind was well worth it.

Back