• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APF recipe adjustment

MrClockOff

Hi all,

I hope everyone is surviving the heatwave.

Just wanted to check if my thinking is correct re APF recipe adjustment for 50 litre tank volume and daily auto dosing.

So original recipe says:
Macro Solution

Mix, Shake & Leave to Dissolve Overnight:

• 4tsp Potassium Nitrate
  • 1tsp Potassium Phosphate
  • 6tsp Magnesium Sulphate
  • 500ml Water
Micro Solution

• 1tsp Chelated Trace Elements
  • 500ml Water
What is a tsp?

A teaspoon is exactly that, we recommend these spoons

Dosing
:

Macro 3x a week. (10ml per 50ltr of Aquarium water)
Micro 3x a week. (10ml per 50ltr of Aquarium water)
20-50% weekly water change.
I'm looking to modify it for daily dose of 20ml of solution premixed in 500ml container for my fish tank which contains roughly 50l of water.
Because there will be at least 6 doses a week instead of 3 I should divide all tsp by 2?
Because there will be 20ml dose instead of 10ml dose I should divide all tsp by 2 once again?
So new recipe is going to be:
Macro Solution

• 1tsp Potassium Nitrate
  • 1/4tsp Potassium Phosphate
  • 1tsp + 1/2tsp Magnesium Sulphate
  • 500ml Water
Micro Solution

• 1/4tsp Chelated Trace Elements
  • 500ml Water
Dosing:

Macro at least 6x a week. (20ml per 50ltr of Aquarium water)
Micro at least 6x a week. (20ml per 50ltr of Aquarium water)
Am I correct?
Cheers 🐟🌱

Yep, looks right to me; halve the salts for your 20ml dose instead of the standard 10ml, and halve again for dosing 6 days instead of 3.

1tsp (standard) x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4tsp (new)

1626863127126.png

1626863226761.png

The volume you dose is irrelevant with a DIY fert as long as you don't exceed any solubility limits in the dosing container, its the weekly yield that matters. I dosed 100ml in 500l then so easy to reduce ferts by 10% etc. Plus of dosing a larger volume is it does last as long so less chance of mould issues, don't make too much at once, if it last 6-8weeks you should get away with adding the Ascorbic Acid and the Potassium Sorbate for Macro/Micro dosing
If doing an All In One (AIO) you will need the Ascorbic Acid and the Potassium Sorbate to prevent the Fe and PO4 interacting, if doing a macro and micro daily dosing dose them at least two hours apart ( 12 hrs better)

@Zeus. thank you for the comments. I think I'm on the right path. I choose to increase the dosing volume due to my autodoser is not very precise and with bigger doses is less error. That's why I had to adjust recipe so I fit inside weakly recommended yields. Dosing 20ml from 500ml container would last 25 days which is roughly 3 weeks. I have two channel autodoser so not going for all in one fertiliser. My dosing regime is going to be 1pm lights on and macros in and at 3pm micros in. Manual macros and micros in just after water change.

Back