• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

API White Spot Cure - Safe?

ScaperJoe

Hi Folks

I bought some API White Spot Cure yesterday because a couple of my tiny Phoenix Rasbora have developed, well, white spots...

I wanted to check here first, before I use it, if there is anything to consider in the planted tank and any reason not to use the dosage as directed on the bottle?

Thank you

Can't say about the rasboras but have used api white spot cure as per label instructions and it worked after 1 round of dosing.

Heavily planted tank, varied mix of fish.. rams, rainbow fish, plec, gourami, corydoras, etc. No snails or shrimp at that point.

Last edited:
Yes I was in the process of editing to say check snail and shrimp safety.

I think if its caught early on ich is a fairly routine and easy to treat condition, however I've no idea how you'd treat it if there's a possibility of harming the invertebrates in there. Sure others will have suggestions.

Appreciate it John, I will hold off and see if others have experience with this medicine with shrimp and snails. As usual the internet is telling me 8 contradicting things :D

It may be that a half dose would be alright, but I'll feel terrible if I endanger happy healthy creatures :thumbup:

OK, so not so difficult. Is this Ich or is it fungus? One appears to be right on the tail fin, whereas another seems to be right on the body:

WS.jpg

WS2.jpg

WS3.jpg

WS4.jpg

I'd say that isn't white spot as it looks to big for it to be. White spot is usually finer grain size and sprinkled across the body so to speak... Looks more like secondary infection such as SAP waterlife protozin clears both pretty well.

White spot is usually finer grain size and sprinkled across the body so to speak... Looks more like secondary infection such as SAP waterlife protozin clears both pretty well.
Thanks @Jonnywylie I hadn't heard of SAP before. It seems like a few things cause little white bumps to form on fish and I don't feel any closer to a diagnosis. It probably doesn't help that my fish are only 2cm long and not the most frequently owned.

Thanks @Jonnywylie I hadn't heard of SAP before. It seems like a few things cause little white bumps to form on fish and I don't feel any closer to a diagnosis. It probably doesn't help that my fish are only 2cm long and not the most frequently owned.
Saprolegnia is it's full name mate. That's just a guess from my experience though. I'd usually do a meth blue Bath to get a better idea but like you mentioned they're small fish so would be difficult doing that.... The waterlife protozin covers white spot and touches a broad spectrum of other fungus / bacteria issues so could be worth trying if all else fails

I think the protozin contains copper sulfate Joe, so probably not shrimp or snail safe.

Ntl labs do a white spot cure that's stated as shrimp safe, and I think its active ingredient is Malachite Green, which may have an effect if its saprolegnia.

This isn't something I've really looked into so please do a bit of research before treating on my say so.

I will do @John q and thank you. I’m not in a major rush like I would be if the fish looked like they were at death’s door. I’m reluctant to add stuff to the tank until I’m confident everyone in there can handle it.

I haven’t got a hospital tank, but I might invest in one while I’m off this week - I know it likely won’t fix the issue in the main tank, but it could help any weak fish recover 🙂👍

Back