Apisto Heaven

afroturf

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2007
Messages
105
Location
Nottingham
Ed I'm looking forward to this tank, i'm a big Apiso fan too i'm looking for a new pair to go in my biotope tank after my original pair a A. iniridae died of a infection after i introduced some tetras from shoddy lfs beginning with the letter 'B'.

Anyway have you got a group of juviniles as or do you know the sex of your apistos? are they wild or tank bred?

What are you doing with the Biotoecus, these have to be in my top 5 fish of all time even though i've never kept them. I was thinking of getting some form Mark but was a little scared off by the price and that they're even more delicate than Apistos.

Think I'll go and buy myself a new pair of apistos soon.
 

johnny70

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2007
Messages
636
Location
Bakewell, Derbsyhire
Ed Seeley said:
johnny70 said:
Where have you got the apisto's from Ed? not a one you often see that:)

JOHNNY
I got a pair of wild fish from a supplier originally but they were old fish I think and didn't breed. Then I got a trio from Peter Lovett which turned out to be a reverse trio. The smaller male was a sneaker male and you couldn't tell him apart from the female. That female then died while brooding her second brood (she'd killed the first batch when her second brood came along) and that brood didn't survive. I then had the two males sharing a 2ft tank for a while and while there was some chasing they both got on fine so I have high hopes for them in a 180l tank.

The last batch I got from Mark Breeze (Microman) along with my Biotoecus sp.'Tapajos'.
Thanks Ed. Looks like you bought his entire stock of them :rolleyes: stunning little fish, I can't wait to see some pictures of them, any plans for pictures SOON??????? :D

JOHNNY
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
beeky said:
Where do you get your killies from? I'm interested in adding some Epiplatys to my community, are there ones to avoid?
An odd story about the Epiplatys. I went to move them out of the QT into the main tank Tuesday and they'd vanished! Knowing what good jumpers they are this tank was completely escape proof! There's even filter wool in the cable holes in the sliding cover glasses!

I got the original pair from a great Killi breeder when I first joined the BKA. My other killies I have mainly sourced as eggs from Aquabid. They are pretty easy to raise. You can also buy the fish and get them shipped. I've bought eggs from as far afield as Hawaii and fish have come all the way from Germany.

All the Epiplatys are great community fish IME. The ones to avoid for tanks with smalled fish are the Asian panchax like the Golden Wonder as they can eat small fish when fully grown. I'd definitely recommend the Epiplatys dageti as I love the barred pattern and I'll be getting some more soon I think.
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
afroturf said:
Ed I'm looking forward to this tank, i'm a big Apiso fan too i'm looking for a new pair to go in my biotope tank after my original pair a A. iniridae died of a infection after i introduced some tetras from shoddy lfs beginning with the letter 'B'.

Anyway have you got a group of juviniles as or do you know the sex of your apistos? are they wild or tank bred?

What are you doing with the Biotoecus, these have to be in my top 5 fish of all time even though i've never kept them. I was thinking of getting some form Mark but was a little scared off by the price and that they're even more delicate than Apistos.

Think I'll go and buy myself a new pair of apistos soon.
The Biotoecus are in my Rio downstairs and settling in nicely! No signs of any breeding activity yet as they're far too young still. I lost one but the other three are eating well. They are pretty shy still.

I bought young F1 fish from Mark but they were sexable. I have bought groups of juveniles before with other cichlids and had great results. Often it depends on getting what you can with more unusual species! Normally Apistos are pretty easy to sex when they get to a saleable size.

You'll have to come over and have a look at some point mate and have a beer!
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
johnny70 said:
Ed Seeley said:
johnny70 said:
Where have you got the apisto's from Ed? not a one you often see that:)

JOHNNY
I got a pair of wild fish from a supplier originally but they were old fish I think and didn't breed. Then I got a trio from Peter Lovett which turned out to be a reverse trio. The smaller male was a sneaker male and you couldn't tell him apart from the female. That female then died while brooding her second brood (she'd killed the first batch when her second brood came along) and that brood didn't survive. I then had the two males sharing a 2ft tank for a while and while there was some chasing they both got on fine so I have high hopes for them in a 180l tank.

The last batch I got from Mark Breeze (Microman) along with my Biotoecus sp.'Tapajos'.
Thanks Ed. Looks like you bought his entire stock of them :rolleyes: stunning little fish, I can't wait to see some pictures of them, any plans for pictures SOON??????? :D

JOHNNY
Sorry about that! :oops:

Well hopefully they'll breed soon and I'll be looking for new homes for the babies!!!

I'll take some pictures this weekend. Got a lot on this week and really should be working at the moment...
 

johnny70

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2007
Messages
636
Location
Bakewell, Derbsyhire
Sorry about that! :oops:

Well hopefully they'll breed soon and I'll be looking for new homes for the babies!!!

I'll take some pictures this weekend. Got a lot on this week and really should be working at the moment...
When you get some babies, give me a shout, I'm sure I can persuade myself to find them some room :lol:

JOHNNY
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
4,957
Location
Leeds.
I've an 18 x 12 x 12 going spare and have been watching this closely, what if any aspisto's would you recommend for me?
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
Garuf said:
I've an 18 x 12 x 12 going spare and have been watching this closely, what if any aspisto's would you recommend for me?
Stick with a pair of the less territorial haremic species IMO. Ideal candidates would be A.borelli or A.cactuoides as they are both relatively unaggressive species, are easy to breed and (unless you find wild ones) aren't too fussy about the water conditions. To be honest though as long as you stayed away from the aggressive pair forming species like A.nijsseni and A.panduro and related species (as these need more room and are fussier over the water conditions) then most others would be ok in soft water.
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
As promised I did manage to take some photos this weekend, it's just taken me a few days to get round to posting them! :rolleyes:

First of all the new Apistogrammas
Male
IMG_0070.jpg


Female
IMG_0098.jpg


They're still babies so the red spotting on the sides isn't really developed yet and the males dorsal extensions are only just growing.

Aphyosemion bivittatum 'Funge'
Male
IMG_0055.jpg


Nannostomus eques doing what pencilfish do! (Hovering in mid-water!)
IMG_0112.jpg


A full tank shot. Notice the Cabomba furcata. Today one shoot is at the surface! That's nearly 12" of growth in 7 days with no CO2!!!!
IMG_0081.jpg


Yesterday the plug adaptor for the CO2 solenoid arrived so I now have 30ppm CO2 in the tank which will help with the plant growth. There are new leaves on all the swords and I will soon be cutting them back I think...

The females have started to stake out their territories now and one female has taken up near the E.angustifolius group and has started digging sand out of the cave - a sure sign that she's thinking of doing the dirty! :lol:
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
LondonDragon said:
Beautifull fish Ed, specially the Funge male. :) tank looking good
Cheers. I was a bit annoyed as that's the small male 'Funge'! The large one (with far better fins and colours would not display and stay still for his photo! I will get a photo of him though at some point!
 

Garuf

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2007
Messages
4,957
Location
Leeds.
An unusual and more than welcome change to the usual cardinal tetra tank, can you give us more information on the funge?
 

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
Staff member
Joined
11 Jul 2007
Messages
8,985
Location
Chicago, USA
Fantastic stuff Ed. :D I love the Aphyosemion. The plants are using their carbon "reserves". Be careful with that regulator - don't gas them mate. :wideyed:

Cheers,
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,934
Location
London
Themuleous said:
Very nice, Ed :)
I really must get into Apisto's at some stage, yet another thing to try before I get to old!
Sam
I know what I will be getting is my rainbows go ;)
 

fishgeek

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
117
Location
west sussex
you ever in sth london ed?

i have 3 bachelor fresa you may like... last of a few that i have had, 3rd generation home bred

andrew
 
Top