• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apisto ID

Simmo

Hi All,
Wondering if I have a male and female same species pair of Apistos...or not šŸ˜‚.
got these juveniles, about an inch long from LFS. The light brownish one with the black line running down its flank and black patch beneath the eye is perhaps a female and the other a male? Do you think theyā€™re borelli?
They tolerate each other, often apart, and are still pretty shy.
None of this matters too much, Iā€™m just curious šŸ‘
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• C0BCB090-9C73-4595-AF84-C353010A3CDD.jpeg
    C0BCB090-9C73-4595-AF84-C353010A3CDD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 204
  • 8ADB3BA7-90B1-4FA9-8C7A-58C4B50DA234.jpeg
    8ADB3BA7-90B1-4FA9-8C7A-58C4B50DA234.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
I think you might have a pair, but only time will tell. As juveniles they change colour a lot, I have young males that will show a black eyestripe and black on the pectoral fin sometimes, so they look like females, and it's very confusing! From experience of giving them away to others, once they have their own territory they seem to colour up quite quickly though, so you should know quite soon what you've got on your hands. Definitely could be Borellii with the yellow throat on the male

I think you might have a pair, but only time will tell. As juveniles they change colour a lot, I have young males that will show a black eyestripe and black on the pectoral fin sometimes, so they look like females, and it's very confusing! From experience of giving them away to others, once they have their own territory they seem to colour up quite quickly though, so you should know quite soon what you've got on your hands. Definitely could be Borellii with the yellow throat on the male
Thank you Shangman, that sounds promising, itā€™s quite fascinating watch their dynamic and Iā€™m excited to see how it all unfolds! Cheers

Thank you Shangman, that sounds promising, itā€™s quite fascinating watch their dynamic and Iā€™m excited to see how it all unfolds! Cheers
They are wonderful fish full of personality, a very good choice :)

My wee Apisto male has coloured up a fair bit now, it does look like borelli pics on the net, please could someone confirm? @shangman šŸ‘šŸ˜€ Female is proving camera
0A8C8EC9-F251-4239-9EDC-67F2F34E2217.jpeg
shy but they appear to be a pair...

Yes that is Borellii :) Lovely colours, they look like a pair that's about to breed! If you don't see your female often and see seems to just occasionally dart in and out of one spot quickly, they might be breeding already.

Fab, thanks Shangman, he is fabulous! Still just the size of an adult neon! Thank you!

Back