• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apisto Trifisciata; have I got 2 males?

Monkfish

I have a pair of Apisto Trifisciata, which were sold to me as a male and female. I am now wondering if I have 2 males as the smaller of the 2 is very shy and hides form the other. I have also just seen the larger one chase the smaller and when it got close it was flicking it's tail at it.

Best pictures I could take of them this morning.

Definite male
IMG_2566.jpg

Female?
IMG_2565.jpg

Hi all,
It looks like a female, you can see the black leading edge to the ventral fins, you can also see the "third" line low on the abdomen, meaning she is definitely A. trifasciata. I kept them for a while, but the males are <"very aggressive"> to other males and un-receptive females. @Edvet keeps/has kept them as well.

cheers Darrel

I keep Apistogramma trifasciata, too. Beautifull fish and not that diffucult to neither hold or breed.
Your male should get much more iridescent blue and very elongated, red threads at the fin on his back. Your female look female to me.
All my males seem to be serious Bast..ds to eachother and females, too. Just like literature say they will. I keep several females to a male and provide a densely, planted tank with lots of caves (=lots of hiding places), in a size according to amount of females (since these seem to make individual territories within the males tertitory - like Tigers do!). My females are very good parents, leading fry around and extreemely protective - to the point where they actually try to "bite me off" if my hands get in their way during maintainance.
In a "big enough" tank they co-operate really well with angelfish (=Ptetophyllum scalare), even when both are breeding.

Thank you both for the replies and sorry for the late reply myself.

He has calmed dow with her and I saw her actively swimming to him this afternoon.

Back