• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apistogramma

Joecoral

Does anyone know much about apistogramma? there's some A.hongsloi and A.nijsseni coming into work next week, and I really want a pair of each
Will the 2 pairs peacefully coexist in a 40ish US gal (rio 180), moderatley planted, bog wood, can put some small clay pots in as caves too?
JC

Nijsenni is a pair forming species and is rather aggressive. If you try to keep a trio the spare female may well get killed. Hongsloi are much less aggressive and may well be intimidated and harrassed by the pandas. If you landscaped the tank into two distinct areas you MAY be able to keep a pair of each. However as the hongsloi are haremic you will always have a pair of pandas against a lone female hongsloi as the male won't help her defend her brood.

All in all, by all means give it a go but be prepared to backtrack if there are problems - i.e. spare tank!

thanks for the input guys. I prefer the appearance of A.hongsloi so I think I'll go for a 1M2F harem of those, just to be on the safe side
JC

Back