• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton crispus red bulbs dormancy.

Konsa

Hi all
I have some bulbs from the above plant buried in the substrate that have been dormant for over an year.I have checked on them and pretty sure they are alive.
I bought the plants back in 2008 and by chance when I had a break from the hobby one small bulb survived packed in moist Aqua soil for 5 years.3 years ago I desided to reuse the soil and it started growing for my surprise.I managed to propagate it from that but it went dormant on me now :(
Does anyone know how can I stimulate them to leaf again.?
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
I've read something similar with Tiger red lotus, and mine has been dormant for a while now too. I believe you have to take it out and let it rest at cold temperatures for a while.
For how long, and at which temperature, I don't know though. Would be cool to learn that here!

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

I think it’s mostly temperature related with both Aponogetons and Tiger lotus. I’ve noticed over the years that whenever I’ve kept these in un-heated tanks they will come up regular as clockwork. And generally in the winter months when my tanks are running just in the low 70s. They seem to get rather confused when kept at a constant temperature, often not reappearing for years, and then only doing so after a sudden temperature event.

Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
During the next maintenance will try to dig few bulbs and give them a holiday in a unheated cup of water to check if it will make any difference.
Regards Konstantin

Hi all
It seems there won't be need to chill the bulbs out of the tank.Few regular large water changes with slightly cooler water seems to have done the trick and they have started to sprout new leaves.Still small and they need to fight few plants around them but Im sure they will make it.
Regards Konstantin

Back