• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APONOGETON FENESTRALIS WEST COAST White fuzz ?

Neil M

Hi can anyone answer a question about this bulb I planted recently. I planted it with one third protruding from the substrate, it was a bulb only with no leaves. Ten days later and no signs of growth but since day two it has been covered in what looks like a kind of translucent white fuzz covering the third above the substrate.
Anyone else seen this ?

Is the bulb still firm or spongy? If it's spongy it could be that its pretty much dead and begun to rot. Hence the white translucent fuzzy coating which is most likely mould.

It was firm when I planted it ten days ago, haven't removed it yet as don't want to do more harm than good, will leave it another week if no sign of growth I'll remove it and have a look at it.

Okay, I'd perhaps give some thought to pulling the bulb out from the substrate a bit more, it might do better with a little over half exposed.

But I don't think you need worry about disturbing it, if it's still dormant or dead then no harm. And once an Aponogeton makes its mind up to grow not much will stop it anyway.

I wouldn’t worry about the mould.

as Tim said. Pull it up. If it is rotten it’ll be soft and really smell bad. There is no missing the smell.

if hard and no smell, bury it again. The bullbs do go through a dormant spell from time to time. Especially when it is getting used to your tank.

Ok I've just lifted it out, the bulb is firm but it does smell a bit ripe , I've replaced it after removing the mould which came off as I lifted it. It did appear to have a white tip so hopefully it will be ok , I'll leave it another week and see what happens.

That's a shame, it can be a bit of a lottery especially buying online where you can't see, touch, and smell. The times I've bought Aponogeton bulbs I usually order more than I need for this reason.

Back