• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton flower (a little different)

I thought it was a bog standard crispus green, but I've only ever seen them produce white flowers...

Wow, that's a stunning colour. I've had mauve Aponogeton flowers before, but not bright purple like yours. Sometimes you get pinkish ones, or yellowish.
This was my brightest A. longiplumulosus;
100_0659a.jpg

Wow, that's a stunning colour. I've had mauve Aponogeton flowers before, but not bright purple like yours. Sometimes you get pinkish ones, or yellowish.
This was my brightest A. longiplumulosus;
100_0659a.jpg

Cheers mate, it may dull down a bit, I don't know. I'll have to keep this thread updated.

There's an encredible lot of species, sub-species, crosses and-you-name-it offered in Aponogetons. New species (or sub-species) still found in the wild.
Darrel is right, the A madagascariensis types, I've seen, so far all produce more or less intense purple flower - but they dont all produce the caracteristic, lace-leaves !!.
A. crispus produce white flowers. But the cultivar A. crispus 'red' will flower in purple - and some of those plants aren't red at all, but green.
A. longiplumulosus is sold in several different varieties (some defenitely not "it"), and flower is usually a mauve colour.
Confusion in sales-names are to be expected, unfortunately :banghead:
A nice sidenote is, that most of Aponogeton flowers are scented - some actually quite heavily scented.

Back