• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton pruning?

Bhu

So my new aponogeton bulbs are showing huge growth an inch a day at least. I fear that I will soon be over run by them. I could start training them around the tank edges to allow light I to the middle. This might work but new leaves are forming and they are sending them up in 2' and 3's so I may have to prune.

Can they be snipped off ok without the risk of rotting back into the bulb? How close is close enough to trim the stems? Such a stunning plant I'd love to see them in their natural environment. Does anyone have any links?

Also can't wait this they flower as this is stunning. I used to have some many years ago that flowered I was very young then and this just amazed me :) probably still does ;)

Sounds like you have bought A. ulvaceus - which will honestly outgrow allmost any private aquarium. You CAN remove entire leaves at the base, by the substrate, but if plants are healthy they will continously regrow.........FAST !!
Basically the right thing to do, is to find the plamt, that suit your needs.
Aponogeton capuroni is a quite small plant with leaves butifully curled at the edge.
Aponogeton crispus is medium sized, looking pretty much like a smaller version of A. ulvaceus
- and there are many more........

Thanks for that, the one growing like crazy is Aponogeton Boivinianus. I do have 2 small Aponogeton Crispus reds as well as Aponogeton Capuroni and Ulvaceus the later 3 are growing slower but still faster than any other plants I have. I'm happy to have some fast growing plants but just wanted to make sure cutting the stem at the bulb was the best way.

He he - the boivianus is defenitely also a big and fast one. Very nice colour and texture of leaves........but growing HUGE !!!

Ha ha I'm in for some fun there then! It is stunning and I'm glad I have it. Will just have to keep on top of the pruning ;)

Thanks for that, the one growing like crazy is Aponogeton Boivinianus. I do have 2 small Aponogeton Crispus reds as well as Aponogeton Capuroni and Ulvaceus the later 3 are growing slower but still faster than any other plants I have. I'm happy to have some fast growing plants but just wanted to make sure cutting the stem at the bulb was the best way.

I've had A.Crispus in my tank for a good few years now and yes the best way to trim is to cut the stems as close to the bulb a you can.

Back