• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton Ulvaceus flopping over !

Neil M

Hi guys another newbie question, I planted one of these bulbs several weeks ago as instructed 2 thirds in the substrate 1 third out, it grew very well from the start putting out new lush leaves every other day.

The only issue is the leaves don't stand upright and just flop onto the substrate, should I have planted it deeper to provide more support ? It's very healthy but doesn't look that special lay on the substrate

The Ulvaceus is to the right of the Amazon Sword and has leaves equal to the height of the sword just lay on the substrate, you can see a glimpse of it behind the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_201231.jpg
    IMG_20200318_201231.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
Aponogeton ulvaceus is one of the very big Aponogeton species - it can (and likely will !) grow leaves about a meter long...... and an enormous amount of them, really fast. This takes a lot of resources from the plant, so it will benefit a lot from a fertiliser-capsule inserted right under it. Fortunately it also tolerates quite hard trimming, pulling off quite a lot of leaves in one go.
Your Aponogeton is just starting off, growing leaves that are relatively small - the new leaves will get bigger all the time (if you feed it well). The nature of leaves of Aponogeton ulvaceus is to be very "soft" and bright and translucent, usually with waved edges, making it an extraordinary beautifull plant. The "soft-ness", though, makes the leaves very influenced by the flow in your aquarium. If you have a strong flow downwords, right at the position of the plant, this may well press leaves down.

Thanks I have placed fertilizer tabs under and around it, I think you may be correct about the flow flattening it, if that is the case then fine I can adjust that in some way, I was more concerned that I hadn't planted it deep enough, a bit like bulbs in the garden if planted too shallow the plant stems can also flop over as there is not enough soil to support the top heavy plant .

Thanks, pretty sure it's down to the flow, which isn't that strong but seems to flatten it not sure what to do really tried changing the flow but that caused other issues, may have to concede defeat and leave it , maybe another A sword the other side may give it some shelter ?

Back