• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Applying Aerial Perspective in Aquascaping

So recently I've come across aerial perpective concepts from my GCSE Art and wondered how we could apply it in Aquascaping. I remember when I came across this manifestation of the aquarium keeping hobby, I wanted rules that I could abide by to create an aesthetic Aquascape. However, all I found that could easily be applied was the rule of thirds and the golden ratio.I imagine that the idea has already been applied by many both consciously and unconsciously, but no one I've found has explicitly stated it and so I'm a little unsure on how we can apply this.

Below are some ideas -in the hope of enhancing depth- that I would like to be confirmed or consolidated and any additions would be appreciated:

1. High detail in the foreground (e.g. addition of small twigs and graded gravel)
2. Higher contrast in the foreground (e.g. cosmetic sands framing the Aquascape)
3. Transition from broad to fine textures (e.g. Monte Carlo to Hairgrass)
4. Darker foreground (e.g. use backlighting and frosted background)
5. Focal point/s should be positioned in the front 1/3 (reducing focus on the background to increase depth)
6. Diminishing size (e.g. Larger materials in the foreground)
7. Sloped gradient (to increase the surface area commonly suggested)

Last edited:
Thanks, it's an interesting read. I think it confirms number 5 and 7. To elaborate on number 5, what I've taken from it is that a focal point nearer the front and converging lines towards a secondary focal point (natural flow of the eye) creates an enhanced sense of depth. Also, I would add that layering creates a sense of depth.

Also I think that numbers 1, 3 and 6 are correct. This leaves me uncertain about numbers 2, 4 and also how to use colour. For example, for my own Aquascape I want to order Bucephalandra Deep Purple, Bucephalandra Mini Needle Leaf and Anubias Bonsai to create a sense of depth. Deep Purple has the largest leaves followed by the Anubias and then Mini Needle Leaf so this could be an order. Also the Deep Purple is darkest followed by the Anubias and then Mini Needle Leaf.

Back