• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APS external + spray bar

scapegoat

I recently purchased the APS 2000+ external filter for a new setup i'm planning. It came with a spray bar but the inner diameter is only 10mm where as the hose is 18mm. Going by what I've picked up on here this will make a big difference to flow, has anyone got any experience with this spraybar? Should I scrap it and replace it or does it do its job?
thanks
Jacob

Hi Jacob, Personnaly I would scrap it. On my 90 cm tank using all four sections of the spray bar to cover the length of the tank I found the flow was good in the first 40 cm but dropped off massively towards the end to almost a trickle. Without the spray bar attached it gives better circulation along the length of the tank but I still run a fluval 205 in the opposite direction to help with flow. AP 2000+ along the back and fluval along the front.
Also the filter floss pads in each compartment clog very easy and quickly reduce flow. All said its still a cracking filter for the price. I just wish it had 16//22mm hosing so I could fit some nice lily's to it
Mark

That's what I was thinking, however as it's supplied with the filter I thought they might have sized it to work best with it. Maybe its the same one they do with their smaller externals. Probs best to just build one

Cheers Mark, thats some very helpful info! Think I'll have to get on the build

im currently running two of them on my 285l tank. flow seems great to me (possibly too much for my discus) using three sections of the spraybar per filter the flow is good enough to see running down the front of the glass and back accross the floor to the rear of the tank. id advise just to use the spraybar to start off unless you have any adverse effects and then spend the money if needby.

Ok cheers mate would save a lot of messing around, I'll give it a go when its set up and see what its like, I've noticed other components aren't 18mm like the pipe as well, the filter outlet itself is 14mm and so is the 16/22 atomiser. I might make one out of cheap overflow piping which has an id of 18.5mm to test the flow differences

Back