• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APT or TNC ferts, opinion’s please.

Ehcosbie

Hello all,

Tank is a Low tech set up with lots of epiphytes, a few crypts, mini swords and some easy stems. Tropica soil capped with sand, budget light on for 12 hrs at 30% intensity.

I am running low on APT complete and am considering changing to TNC complete. Should I change or stick to what I know?

Opinions please!

Attachments

• 4D0FEE3E-3A2E-4A37-BF9D-2CF0DD669637.jpeg
    4D0FEE3E-3A2E-4A37-BF9D-2CF0DD669637.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 282
Well, APT is manufactured in the far east (I believe) and TNC is produced in Europe (I believe), so there is an environmental consideration. APT is also double the cost of TNC. So I am looking for opinions on whether TNC is comparable on performance to APT.

I use TNC complete. 3ml/day. Never used APT complete, but seem to be getting some very good results from TNC complete in my 30l plant only tank.
My pics of growth with TNC complete
APT complete seems to be at least twice the price for the same macro and micro dosing.
I am sure that somewhere on the forum, I have seen a price comparison between different fertilizers? It was by ppm of all ingredients?
Maybe one of those wonderful mods or admins knows where it was? I just can't find it!

I've have used and still use TNC and APT and both are good fertilisers. When I used TNC in a high energy tank however, I found I was using a lot more of it in comparison to APT so it was debatable how much money was actually being saved. For example, like @The grumpy one said, I was dosing several ml on a 5 gallon tank (can't remember the exact figure), but when I switched over to APT, I was dosing less than 1ml for the same results.

In that scenario, a 500ml bottle of APT would have lasted 18 months, whereas the 500ml bottle of TNC would have been 6 months (at a 3ml/day dose). Where both get expensive is when using it for large tanks, which is why I use dry salts and mix my own for my 350L. If it were me, I would work out how many doses (I do it in days) you'll get from both fertilisers and see what's more value for money that way.

I do understand your environmental concern. I don't tend to factor this is in myself because then there's so much of my equipment/tools/fish/plants I could dissect. Not many of those things originated in the UK.

Last edited:
I am sure that somewhere on the forum, I have seen a price comparison between different fertilizers? It was by ppm of all ingredients?
Post in thread 'TNC or APT' TNC or APT

Here's what each 5ml in a 100l tank would contain for comparison. * Tnc figures are for N & P. No3 would be 3.3 ppm & Po4 would be 0.3 ppm.
Screenshot_20220415-093800_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-093650_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Well, APT is manufactured in the far east (I believe) and TNC is produced in Europe (I believe), so there is an environmental consideration. APT is also double the cost of TNC. So I am looking for opinions on whether TNC is comparable on performance to APT.

As mentioned in the earlier thread John q has highlighted, coincidentally APT Complete is approximately double the cost of APT EI when you look at how much nutrients each dollar purchases.

Which is why I switched from APT Complete to APT EI to save money. :)

Back