• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Aqua Nano 30

Aqua360

Had this set up for a few months now, 22 litres, mostly LPS and softies! One pom pom crab 🦀

Pics with and without lens filter to illustrate the different lighting effect.
PXL_20211028_103516508.jpg

PXL_20211028_103514528.jpg

Lovely! How much time in maintenance does a tank like this cost? What do you do per week? :)
Literally 20 mins max.

All I do is sporadically change 10 litres of water, which I have pre-mixed a few days in advance. The auto-top up does the rest. I sometimes add some reef roids for the corals, and every few days toss 2-3 crab pellets in.

It's the one tank I do the least maintenance on, once set up it just runs itself, lighting is pre-programmed also.

And what kind of tech/tank etc is on it? Just asking for a friend who might be tempted to get something like this as well sometime ;)
Ask away 😁

So all in all, it's an aqua nano 30 tank, with stock pump, heater, and Fluval sea nano led. Also a D-D auto top up.

A lot of people upgrade stock pumps, but I've found it to be fine!

Lighting schedule I can throw up here if you're interested, but yeah really it's a basic set up, no skimmer or anything cause there's no heavy bioload

Also @Wolf6 you don't even need equipment like an auto-top up. You can manually top up, or even use an upside down filled water bottle, which I did for a while!

Can you post some pictures of the whole setup, including the tech around it? :)
Sure,

So this is the tank itself,
PXL_20211028_103449764.jpg

Then pump, heater and sensor for top-ups. The clear tube is where the RO tops up.
PXL_20211028_164809378.jpg

Tub for RO water and ATO pump:
PXL_20211028_164757283.jpg

Then finally the light:
PXL_20211028_164802688.jpg

If you want to know more on individual components I'll try to explain them more :)

So all the space taken is the tank footprint and the ro water bottle, which is optional? :)
On that particular tank, it has rear filter compartments, but I don't have anything in them except a piece of floss, which tbf I could do without.

Essentially you can run a marine tank with a heater, live rock, and powerhead/enough flow.

The more bioload you add, is when you start to see the need for skimmers etc.

ATO is entirely optional, but many people get fed up of topping up RO manually!

How much live rock have you got in this cube roughly? Really healthy tank, love seeing the coralline algae build up on the back wall. How long has it been running?
Good question, I think it's 2-3kg, at a very rough guess, it's been running for approximately 6 months :)

I did have a Fluval Evo, but just had the urge to downsize, it's been very manageable, which I attribute to the very limited fish/invert livestock.

Whenever I've added fish, nutrient levels jumped adversely, and whenever adding shrimp etc, they trample over the coral. So far the pom pom crab has been a good fit, but I still find corals moved from time to time!

I am really wantimg something like this, have found myself looking at pico reefs on YouTube for weeks 😅, only trouble is i dont know much about the marine side, is it hard to make the saltwater etc, i am so tempted to buy a small tank like this and try it. Looks great by the way, love a nano/pico tank, its either a small betta tank or pico reef 😏

I am really wantimg something like this, have found myself looking at pico reefs on YouTube for weeks 😅, only trouble is i dont know much about the marine side, is it hard to make the saltwater etc, i am so tempted to buy a small tank like this and try it. Looks great by the way, love a nano/pico tank, its either a small betta tank or pico reef 😏

It's really not difficult at all, if you have the fundamentals of freshwater fishkeeping, you can easily make the jump to saltwater.

What I would suggest is start with easy corals, and keep the bioload low. If you want some pointers, I'm no expert but can advise what worked for me :)

That would be great if you dont mind and any helpful information you have found or youtube vids that explains the basics be good as so much on there its hard to find good ones.

Been looking at AIO tanks but so many as said, i was originally looking at the innovative marine fusion nano 10 but havnt got room for that until i move home so maybe get a 5 gallon or so (OR research until i move then go for the fusion or waterbox equivalent)as easy and small, any coral i think is stunning so would happily stick to easy ones. Also any pico tank recommendations welcome.

The othet good think with pico is low initial setup costs

Thanks dean

That would be great if you dont mind and any helpful information you have found or youtube vids that explains the basics be good as so much on there its hard to find good ones.

Been looking at AIO tanks but so many as said, i was originally looking at the innovative marine fusion nano 10 but havnt got room for that until i move home so maybe get a 5 gallon or so (OR research until i move then go for the fusion or waterbox equivalent)as easy and small, any coral i think is stunning so would happily stick to easy ones. Also any pico tank recommendations welcome.

The othet good think with pico is low initial setup costs

Thanks dean

I have seen good Fluval spec 3 Pico reefs

I have seen good Fluval spec 3 Pico reefs
Thanks mate yeah I have seen a few good picos, thinking now I may wait until I move and get a 10 gallon like waterbox or innovative marine fusion 10 just doing research in meantime and trying to find out basics , actually apart from adding salt doesn't seem to different, currently watching my first fishtank channel and very helpful. I will only want softies and lps and make it nice and easy but want to look great like your system.

Any sites or books you recommend for beginners also going to look at forums maybe ultimate reef?

Thanks dean

good fish shop nearby and they will sell salt water and RO by the Ltr, or if a sensible distance from the coast you can collect your own water

Thanks mate yeah I have seen a few good picos, thinking now I may wait until I move and get a 10 gallon like waterbox or innovative marine fusion 10 just doing research in meantime and trying to find out basics , actually apart from adding salt doesn't seem to different, currently watching my first fishtank channel and very helpful. I will only want softies and lps and make it nice and easy but want to look great like your system.

Any sites or books you recommend for beginners also going to look at forums maybe ultimate reef?

Tbf I didn't find the forums to have many approachable members, for some reason in marine there is a bit of snobbery, possibly due to the costs of the hobby 🤷‍♂️

The best thing you could do is find a like-minded person that's maybe just ahead of you in the hobby, can help big time with direct inquiries and cover any issues.

Thanks dean

Just thought we would say SNAP ! :happy:

Our AquaNano30 tank from about seven years ago, using compact tubes and a similar filtration to yours though we built a simple skimmer in the mid filter section.

Ran it for a good few years but the downfall was those pesky Flat Worms, tried many things including a full strip down but nothing seems to stop them.
Our previous larger tank never had such problems, though we alway had a six line Wasse in there so assume it ate them all, not that we ever saw any in that tank.

The Milliput may look rather obvious but the corals soon covered it.

000913.jpg

Back