• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua Oak 76

chr15_8

Afternoon all,

I'm looking at getting an Aqua Oak tank from MA. The diemensions of the tank itself is 70cm(W) x 32(D) x 50(H) cm.

My only concern is the tank seems very high compared to the depth. I was originally planning a custom built tank and having it 80x40x40. The tank from MA just matches the rest of the furnature in the front room.

I haven't seen any else plant one of these tanks? Can anyone see a problem with a tank of this diemension?

Thanks
Chris

They look like nice pieces of furniture. It is really up to you, what you want but a few thoughts -

• Would you prefer an open top tank?
  • You won’t be able to fit filtration glassware to this tank.
  • The Aqua Oak cabinets aren’t that high to put in a sufficiently large filter or 3 kg gas bottle.
  • You’ll need to be careful selecting lights (the Twinstar 600 SA should work well on this tank though).

Seen a lot of people buy these tanks and then change them to an open top tank 1 year later. So do a full list of the kit that you are planning to get before you do anything. Post that if you like. Don’t get sucked into buying it altogether with advice from MA staff.

Hope that helps 👍

Thanks for the replies so far.
My main concern was the aquascappping as you've said. I've never been good at it myself 😂 more of a challenge i suppose

Siege
I do like the look of open top tanks and have previously had a 450 litre open top marine tank. Its just the evaporation. My place is fairly air tight so don't really want to cause issues. I know a lot if people probably do get by just fine.
Noted about the CO2 I planned on using a fire extinguisher so will check the diemensions.
Good to hear about the twinstar. That was my other main concern about adequate lighting.

No worries about getting sucked in. Think it will be one of the first things I've actually bought from there other than fish 👍

Thanks
Chris

I wouldn’t worry about evaporation too much, if your home is reasonably airtight I assume it is a warm house. Running the tank at 22-23 you’ll hardly have any. More condensation in a cooler droughty house.

A proper 1.5kg bottle will fit in, a 3kg might not. You might be pushing it with a 2kg FE. Likewise the 350 or 600 oase biomaster (for example) filter will probably be too tall.

It’s the legs on the Aqua oak that do it!

Well that kinda throws things in the mix. If I go custom it will be completely different to the furniture....

Think I will go for another look tomorrow and take a few measurements with the kit I want!

Thanks so far and if anyone else can has any thoughts I'm happy to hear good or bad!

Thanks
Chris

We bought an Aquaoak 120D a year ago and have been very pleased with it. We too have oak furniture so it matched in well. Our is low tech (no CO2) but I like the extra depth - the plants can go to a good height and still leave room for the fish to swim about. We have a 600 Oase Biomaster filter which fits in just fine. We do have the Aquascaper glass pipework set. This didn't really give enough circulation, plus we have a big log in there, so added a Koralia 3200 pump. For lighting we use a Fluval Plant LED. We don't have anything particularaly fussy to grow - crypts, hygrophila, echinodorus, vallisneria, saggitaria - and they all do fine but I think you'd struggle with more delicate carpet plants.
aquaoak.jpg

I've got an aquaoak slim running low tech. See journal elsewhere in this site. I would endorse many of the comments above. Depth is very limited for scaping, substrate level plants need to like light, the access points for tank ingress and egress are limited, and you have to measure up kit carefully if you went it to fit the cabinet. That said it looks fabulous in the living room and matches all our other furniture really well.
Cheers,
Simon

Back