• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquael Shrimp tanks

Yes indeed, a lot of the tank volume would be wasted on shrimp unless something vertical is used in the scape.

sumitha said:
Yes indeed, a lot of the tank volume would be wasted on shrimp unless something vertical is used in the scape.

No worse then then if you got a cube, the only limit is your creativity. Shrimp love climbing to find more food, they used to like whizzing round on the roots of amazon frogbit upside down when I used to have it :lol:. Some wood reaching out the surface with moss, big Amano style rocks...

I used to have a floating carpet of Amazon Frogbit in my low tech 180l - it was a bit like having another substrate on the top of the tank with loads of shrimp foraging among the leaves and hanging roots. Removed it as the Amazon Frogbit cut off light to the rest of the tank (and probably sucked off nutrients to the detriment of other plants).

NeilW said:
sumitha said:

No worse then then if you got a cube, the only limit is your creativity. Shrimp love climbing to find more food, they used to like whizzing round on the roots of amazon frogbit upside down when I used to have it :lol:. Some wood reaching out the surface with moss, big Amano style rocks...

I really like the look of those tanks, it's a shame that the light is so bulky otherwise they'd be a real bargain.

Thanks, I've seen the Arcadia Arc tanks at the Aquatic Design Centre in London. They look quite decent. The Dennerle 30l cube also looks quite appealing from the pictures I've seen online. However the Arcadia Arcs and Dennerle cubes are, I believe, made of bog standard float glass. Was wondering whether the glass of the Aquael shrimp tanks was actually something special as their marketing literature claims.

hogan53 said:
Hi
Have a look at this one, http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/arcadia ... -3647.html
it has rounded corners.I have the larger size 36litre ideal for shrimp small community fish no heater though.
hoggie

You used to be able to get an optiwhite cube from aqua essentials for £50. Maybe worth checking out? The thing with tanks this small is that although optiwhite is desirable always, the difference is so marginal that it doesn't really matter.

A clear silicon option might also be impressive. I like the non-rounded edges of the Aquael shrimp tank. Perhaps it's just me, but the optical distortion of tank contents at the rounded edges of many nanos seem visually suboptimal.

Garuf said:
I really like the look of those tanks, it's a shame that the light is so bulky otherwise they'd be a real bargain.

Heard that optiwhite glass doesn't make a big difference in smaller (or should I say thinner glass?) tanks. Would be nice validate this in person though :D.

Couldn't find £50 optiwhites in Aqua Essential's website, perhaps these are similar to the optiwhites with untidy silicone AE sell on ebay. The ebay tanks are a bit on the small side, the largest being 15l (12"x10"x8").

Garuf said:
You used to be able to get an optiwhite cube from aqua essentials for £50. Maybe worth checking out? The thing with tanks this small is that although optiwhite is desirable always, the difference is so marginal that it doesn't really matter.

Yes, those are the same tanks, only with the odd chip in them. Silicone is the same as when they were sold for £35 or there abouts at the end of 2008. I gave my to LondonDragon, who spent a while cleaning up the silicone and ended up with a reasonable tank.

The clarity of these tanks was definitely superior to float glass tanks, and these have quite thin glass.

I didn't know the tanks might be chipped as well. The ebay item description just mentions untidy silicon. Saw Paulo's optiwhite tank journal (in fact I'm looking for a tank to keep some of the better looking cherry shrimp I originally got from Paulo a while ago).

So optiwhite glass does make a difference even with thin glass nano tanks?

SteveUK said:
Yes, those are the same tanks, only with the odd chip in them. Silicone is the same as when they were sold for £35 or there abouts at the end of 2008. I gave my to LondonDragon, who spent a while cleaning up the silicone and ended up with a reasonable tank.

The clarity of these tanks was definitely superior to float glass tanks, and these have quite thin glass.

sumitha said:
I didn't know the tanks might be chipped as well. The ebay item description just mentions untidy silicon. Saw Paulo's optiwhite tank journal (in fact I'm looking for a tank to keep some of the better looking cherry shrimp I originally got from Paulo a while ago).

So optiwhite glass does make a difference even with thin glass nano tanks?

SteveUK said:

I've got two of the 12x10x8" badboys, real cheap for opti-white; I paid £14 for one on Ebay and £20 when they were still full price. Also got a 12x8x8" for a later date :lol:. Definitely a difference between these and float glass (even if in the cross-section ice blue looks much cooler then standard green glass) The colour is noticeably truer too rather then having a slight green-cast (something you only notice when you see it for real). None of mine are chipped either, but they do have a bit of a rough finish on the top edge rather then a smooth bevel (no biggy though). For me if I didn't buy opti-white I'd regret it at a later date; if the aquascape turned out beautiful it would be the one niggling thing I would think *I wish I did that...*

sumitha said:
The ebay tanks are a bit on the small side, the largest being 15l (12"x10"x8").

15 litres is respectable for a nano!

Many thanks NeilW. Great to hear from someone who has the ebay optiwhite tanks.
Was concerned that it might be hard to keep parameters stable in such a small tank. Also a couple of inches more in height would be nice just to increase viewing area.

Back