• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquamanta EFX300 Review

bigmatt

Hello all,
After recent filter problems i decided to shell out some cash on a filter with ~1000lph flow. After much checking of products (and my bank balance) i opted for one of the Maidenhead Aquatics Aquamanta EFX300
http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/Prodshowroomdetails.aspx?id=255
What really sold me on this (other than the apparently excellent value for money) is that they have the big brother of this (EFX600 - a real beast) running on one of their display tanks in my local MA and it is really, really quiet.
Having got home and set it up i've got to say i'm really, really pleased with it. :thumbup: It's supplied with an excellent range of media (most of which i haven't used opting for a simpler layout to maximise flow) and the intake and spraybar are very good. I'm particularly pleased with the clear spraybar that fits perfectly and very discreetly into a 60cm tank. Obviously it's too early to say how things like cleaning go, but i'll post again when i know.
So, on initial impressions it's a good bit of kit - great value and quiet in operation. I hope this continues and i can post an equally positive long-term review!
EDIT - Forgot to say that it looks great as well - seems to be modelled on the Eheim Pro series (the square ones). It also has an excellent volume of media as well as a good range
Hope this helps,
Matt

Thanks Matt - I was wondering about the little brother of these for my new nano qube - and if it'll fit in my cabinet, then it seems a good deal... it's that or an Eheim ecco Pro 103, and the Aquamanta is certainly cheaper.

mx

The all pond solutions are nothing to do with TT at all, they've very poor clones if they are! They're rebranded SUNSUN filters, a lot of US users are reporting failures after around 12 weeks and rumours of noises and massive drops in flow over very short period.

The ecco series are made in china and are of poorer quality.

The aquamanta series are designed by the same man responsible for the tetratec ex series.

i have spoken to many aquarists who now swear by the A.P.S filters. even after a year or two of running.

im not sure you would need a UV light in the planted tank game though!

Yeah, you're right, clear through paths so no water was actually gets properly filtered. A Uv light isn't needed at all, bit of a waste and a flow hindrance. I've read enough about chinese clones over the time I've been in the hobby to know to avoid them. Filters aren't something you can cut corners on since they're the beating heart of your tank.

So.... if I've understood the weight of opinion: Aquamanta>= Tetratect>>Eheim>APS>SunSun

yep?

mx

Matt,

Was wondering if you can tell me what the dimensions are of the filter? I've looked over the web and can't seem t ofind that information.

I'm currently toying between the Efx 300 and the Eheim 2217

Cheers

the better filters to go for are

eheim
fluval (newer models fair better, than the old '05 series) Fx5 is awesome.

tetratec hold the mid ground

then below you have

Atman
Aquapro
all pond solutions filters
Sunsun.
(basically all the same filters in essence) but if you are on a budget they are perfectly fine. my atmans and aquapros have not leaked in 2 years. in that time my tetratec has leaked and broke about 6 times. im constantly having spares sent.

Thanks for replying bigmatt

Reason I ask is that I'm wondering if it will fit in one of the side of the cabinet. The cabinet enterance in 22cm in width so you reckon it will fit ok?

Also what are the pipe widths?

Ok, just brought one of these puppies from MA@Bracknell during my lunch break. So thought it would be useful to add the dimensions and other useful info that is in the manual to this thread.

Canister Model: EFX 300
Number of Media Baskets: 2
Dimensions: 22 x 32 x 22cm
Max Aquarium Volume: Up to 300l
Maximum Flow rate&: 1100L/hr
Max Head Height: 1.5m
Filter Volume: 12 litres
Power Consumption 21w

*Maximum flow rates are based on measurements taken as the water exits the filter unit when it is positioned next to the aquarium with no filter media in the canister.

I just had one delivered - the ex600, flow rate up to 600l/hr, for my 40 litre nano

there are two small 'O' rings left after I assembled it, with no obvious reason for their existence... They're of the same diameter as the inlet/outlet tubes, but there was no indication that they should go in the valves...

have I screwed up mightily? Where should they be?

:)

m

and delightfully silent - I've got it running in a bucket alongside an Eheim 2078, waiting for the DSM to run its course on my big tank - and standing beside them, it's joyfully silent...

glad we're together in not knowing what the 'o' rings are for - I have a horrible suspicion we'll find out with leaks in a day or two...

m

magpie said:
and delightfully silent - I've got it running in a bucket alongside an Eheim 2078, waiting for the DSM to run its course on my big tank - and standing beside them, it's joyfully silent...

glad we're together in not knowing what the 'o' rings are for - I have a horrible suspicion we'll find out with leaks in a day or two...

m

No leaks. I got mine last year I think, and no issues whatsoever with it.

Back