• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquamas Reactor Insert Problem

2pods

I've had this inline FE CO2 setup for about two and a half years now, and it has been easy to use with good results.

Sometimes there is a build up of gas at the top, so I bleed it with the small tap to restore the water level.

Today though I cleaned the XP3 filter that feeds the reactor, just like every other time, but tonight I found the bubbles are being trapped at the bottom mixing into one big bubble.
I tried bleeding it, but the water level is already at the top.

The only other thing I can think of is the sponge/alfagrog insert is dirty and is stopping the bubbles travelling to the top.
If so, I need to find a way of cleaning the sponge without flooding the carpet !
I think the top MAY screw off, but then I'm going to worry if it goes on tight enough again.

Has anyone done it already ?

Yes, the top screws off to allow cleaning. I do this every time i clean the filter - so far no problems. Though i do expect to have to replace the rubber washer that seals it at some point.

milla said:
Yes, the top screws off to allow cleaning. I do this every time i clean the filter - so far no problems. Though i do expect to have to replace the rubber washer that seals it at some point.

Thanks for your help :)

Any tips to avoid a wet carpet ?

Mine is fed with a short hose from a Rena XP3 filter.
From the reactor there is another short hose to a Vecton UV, then up to the tank (Rio 400).

2pods said:
Any tips to avoid a wet carpet ?

[/quote]

Not really, i have installed quick release taps either side so that i can isolate and remove whith minimal spillage.

That sounds good 8)

Do you have a link ?
I'll have to do it this afternoon, but it would be good for next time.

Also, did you wash your insert (oh-er !) in tank or tap water ?

Thanks again

here is a link - not cheap though as these are Eheim. However i got something similar from my local garden centre -pond section for half the price.

http://www.ultimateaquatics.co.uk/acata ... e_etc.html

I just wash the netting in tap water. I am not bothered about using the reactor as an additional biological filter as i seriously over filter anyway with 2* teratec 1200's on a 180litre tank.

If especially dirty then i soak in a bleach solution followed by dechlorinator.

It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be :D
I switched off the XP3 and took out the inlet/primer bit, then I just drained the reactor via it's bleed tap.

I could really use some of those taps though, especially when I'm changing the UV bulb.
I think I would be better off using pipes, elbow joints, and taps, rather than the squeeze under the cabinet with the flexible hose :idea:

2pods said:
I think I would be better off using pipes, elbow joints, and taps, rather than the squeeze under the cabinet with the flexible hose :idea:

I have the same thought with my setup. Once I have gone a year without changing\adding any hardware, I will go the 'fixed' plumbing route.

If you do go for elbows remember to get as gentle an angle as you can as sharp bends reduce flow significantly.

That will giive me something to plan over the winter.
I may as well think about doing our two very small ponds too !

:lol:

Back