• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....

Seagull said:
Saw this in my local PaH store a while back - really like what you've done with the wood there. I'll have to keep an eye on this one ;)
Gill said:
The Hardscape is very promising, will evolve nicely
Thanks guys, ordered plants from freshwatershrimp today so hopefully it will start to evolve soon!
Cheers,
Ady.

Whitey89 said:
Hey ady,

Loving this setup like it appears everyone else is too!
I have a small amount of Ranunculus inundatus if you want it FOC.
Its been hanging around with some Sp. Japan in my low tech Shrimptank for ages, so should burst into life quite quickly, and will be 100% shrimp safe :D

Where did you get the tank from? Im sure Ive seen these at paddock farm, with a built in filter in the back?
And from what I recall, a great price too, something in the region of £90?

Keep up the good work,

Hi Whitey,
yeah they have them in paddock farm, i actually got this from Fish Alive in Durham, i rang Paddock farm to price them there and they reckoned about £120, but got it for less than that. Bought the stand too, so did a deal ;) .
From what ive seen £90-100 is about the going rate.
As for the ranunclus that would be great, dont expect it foc though, ill give you something.
Cheers,
Ady.

Hardscape complete, and all substrate added; and an obligatory couple of shots of how it stands before planting and filling. Some small bits of dragon stone have been added along the sand/substrate border to fill in any gaps and hold substrate. Hopefully ill have enough room for my plantlist :crazy: .

FTS showing height of substrate at the rear:
feb20122010.jpg

From above to show available planting areas:
feb20122011.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....

Ady34 said:
Whitey89 said:
Hey ady,

Its been hanging around with some Sp. Japan in my low tech Shrimptank for ages, so should burst into life quite quickly, and will be 100% shrimp safe :D

Where did you get the tank from? Im sure Ive seen these at paddock farm, with a built in filter in the back?

Keep up the good work,

Hi Whitey,
yeah they have them in paddock farm, i actually got this from Fish Alive in Durham, i rang Paddock farm to price them there and they reckoned about £120, but got it for less than that. Bought the stand too, so did a deal ;) .
As for the ranunclus that would be great, dont expect it foc though, ill give you something.
Cheers,
Ady.

Hey,

Don't worry mate, its fine. I will hopefully get it bagged and sent tomorrow, there isn't a great deal, but like I said if you let it grow in it shouldn't take long. Something about the leaf shape is appealing. Been in low
Light so the stems are long.

Looking great full of substrate :)

Regards

Whitey89 said:
Hey,

Don't worry mate, its fine. I will hopefully get it bagged and sent tomorrow, there isn't a great deal, but like I said if you let it grow in it shouldn't take long. Something about the leaf shape is appealing. Been in low

Regards
Very much appreciated, and every little helps, hopefully it will take and fill in nicely.
As for it being long stemmed, thatll be good as i think ill mix it with something a little shorter.
Cheers, ive pm'd you.
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Whitey89 said:
Hey ady,

Keep up the good work,

Hi Whitey,
Cheers,
Ady.

Hey,

Regards

Sorry about double post! Tapatalk loves it. Ha
Thats fine mate, I will also be trimming a decent amount of hc. So there will be a pot or two there.

Suppose every little helps!

Im keen on getting a manzy setup done in my ebi now. Ive got the ebi gold shrimp soil in there but ideally i would prefer to get some Amazonia powder. Just for ease of planting and more atheistic look.

Regards

Whitey89 said:
Im keen on getting a manzy setup done in my ebi now. Ive got the ebi gold shrimp soil in there but ideally i would prefer to get some Amazonia powder. Just for ease of planting and more atheistic look.

Regards
Ebi gold looks excellent from what ive seen on Freshwatershrimp sponsor forum. Had just recieved my amazonia when they posted the thread about it otherwise i would have definitely considered it. Much the same product probably.
See you tuesday :thumbup: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Whitey89 said:

Regards
Ebi gold looks excellent from what ive seen on Freshwatershrimp sponsor forum. Had just recieved my amazonia when they posted the thread about it otherwise i would have definitely considered it. Much the same product.

Yeah its apparently one of the best for CRS so I heard. Large grain size is a bit of a ball ache though. Found when trying to bank substrate, it was a bit difficult too. As i dont think there is as much clay content in ebi, the balls dont seem to stick together well.

Ive got about 10ltrs of it in a little basic iwagumi setup in my fluval ebi. Will get a photo tonight to show you general idea.

Hope plants arrive today in a good condition for you! :thumbup:

Regards,

Whitey89 said:
Yeah its apparently one of the best for CRS so I heard. Large grain size is a bit of a ball ache though. Found when trying to bank substrate, it was a bit difficult too. As i dont think there is as much clay content in ebi, the balls dont seem to stick together well.

Ive got about 10ltrs of it in a little basic iwagumi setup in my fluval ebi. Will get a photo tonight to show you general idea.

Hope plants arrive today in a good condition for you!

Hi,
sounds like it may be better for less aquascaped breeding set ups, maybe try some substrate supports to help it out a bit.
Plants arrived first thing so will be planting tonight :thumbup: .
It could be a slow burner this one as mosses are slow at the best of times, but no pressurised c02 its gonna be like watching paint dry! The large in vitro moss pots i ordered are impressive, fissidens and mini pelia meshes will take a while to flourish i suspect, but looking forward to seeing how they fare in this set up, and of course watching the shrimp critters fidgeting around all over them 8) !
Its weird looking at 1-2 grow stem plants as they all look like carpeting plants, there will be no height in the plant mass to start with so fingers crossed theyll take to the liquid carbon and low light and grow :bored: . Im slightly worried now abot 18w pl over 55l.... very slow i suspect!!!
Anyway, ive got the plants from you to add aswell so thanks again for them, much appreciated and keep us posted with the Ebi nano set up.
Cheerio,
Ady.

I too am interested in seeing this grow in ady, and dont worry about the plants, Hope you find use for them :thumbup:

as for light, I have 2 Fluval PCL's on my ebi (30ltr) and they are 11w each. So I think I may have gone a bit overkill on mine haha. I left my lights on all day ( dose 2ml easycarbo & 1ml TPN+ on a morning) and waters gone green this afternoon when I got back ha! So going to be doing 4-5 hour photo periods beteen 5pm-9/10pm ish.
Will wait for green to go and plants to come on a bit then post a photo, its only a basic layout designed in a way to be easy to see shrimp! :)

Hope your 18w proves powerful enough, just depends on how quickly you get bored! :D
Oh, by the way, Ive got some peacock moss' on pads that are just shooting through the netting now.
I did them as a try out to see if they would grow on a pad, and they are growing slowly but are getting there.
Let me know if you want one !

Updated cabinet pics on my thread, take a peak if you get chance mate.

Regards

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....Planted.

Hi all,
tank was planted and filled last night. Tying moss onto tiny pieces of wood and stone with cotton without four hands is pretty awkward and time consuming! However i got there in the end and this is how its all shaped up. Im quite pleased with the result, and the 1-2 grow plants and in vitro pots are easy to work with and theres plenty of bang for your buck when you look at the stems in particular.

Heres what you get with in vitro pots and tropica 1-2 grow:

feb20122028.jpg

Heres progress before filling:

feb20122039.jpg

feb20122036.jpg

and directly after filling, a little murkier than it would have been but i managed to carelessly jet water at some of the aquasoil powder near the lower filter inltet when filling :rolleyes: Also excuse the mega rock right foreground, its doing a good job of preventing floating wood:

feb20122045.jpg

and finally, this morning after a little more time to clear:

feb20122048.jpg

feb20122047.jpg

Looks a little one dimensional at the moment, but once the rotala rotundifolia stems 'hopefully' start growing at the rear it should add more depth.
I am a little worried about the lighting and liquid carbon not being sufficient for the hc, but we shall see. Ive pretty much failed with staurogyne before, so will be interesting to see how it fares in here, its roots in soil and hopefully no snails. If they fail ill have to go to plan b..... more mosses!

Cheerio,
Ady.

The hardscape looked great, but now with it planted it is already an absolute beauty. I don't really do jelousy but the green eyed monster is coming out. Great job.

Andy

awesome mate!

you really do have the 'eye' for this hobby...

Back