• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....Planted.

When that grows out it would easily be worthy of IAPLC entry mate. Congrats.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....Planted.

Whitey89 said:
What a fantastic job of planting! Loving the overall layout of the tank.
Leave auto spraying behind and go pro ! :lol:

:thumbup:

:lol: . Cheers mate.

easerthegeezer said:
like that a lot mate :thumbup:

Thanks Iain.

awtong said:
The hardscape looked great, but now with it planted it is already an absolute beauty. I don't really do jelousy but the green eyed monster is coming out. Great job.

Andy

:) ... speaking of green, it is a bit green and i dont think the lighting will be strong enough to bring out any red in the rotala, maybe i should have thought of an accent more.... :idea: maybe the shrimp will do that though!

ianho said:
awesome mate!

you really do have the 'eye' for this hobby...

I think the expression is; 'even the sun shines on a dogs .... someday' :lol: . Just need to hone the growing skills too now! Thanks though its much appreciated.

pariahrob said:
That looks gorgeous. Really liked it before you planted and now just looks even better!

Cheers Rob, its always a worry that youll make things worse when planting, but i do quite like the way its turned out. Think maybe if the rotala grows at the rear i may remove the uppermost mini java fern as it seems to one dimensionalise (is that even a word?) the centre of the scape a little.... or 'flatten' it, thatll do!

Antipofish said:
When that grows out it would easily be worthy of IAPLC entry mate. Congrats.

Thanks and high praise Chris :oops:, i think theres a way to go yet but im quite pleased at the initial look..... need to be able to grow the damn plants now!

Thanks all for the positive feedback, it helps on this sad night :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....Dosing advice please

Hi,
advice please.
Last time i started a tank i cycled without plants, emptied, planted and refilled, let settle for a week then bought livestock. This time obviously ive planted from the start and understand this means more water changes to reduce ammonia etc and help the plants and reduce the risk of algae whilst cycling. My plan is to every other day 50% water change for the first week, then every 3 days for the next week, 4 days the week after and down to once a week the week after that...... does this sound about right or is there a better way?
Also dosing, im going to use liquid carbon and ferts as macro and micro mixes. Do i start both immediately, carbon obviously, and i would have thought ferts too, but want to clarify. Also being as its relitively low light would you suggest bottle recommended dosing regime, or still more? Thinking i dont want to overdo it with the ferts as this will in turn raise tds which wont be great for the CRS i intend to keep.
Thinking of starting photoperiod on 5hrs/day?, = less demand for c02 and ferts?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....'Mega' rock removed.

Hi,
quick snaps of how its looking now that the wood has sunk and ive been able to remove the large rock holding it down. Fissidens moved into position.
Every other day 50% water changes at the moment (one just completed pre photo), dosing 2.5ml flourish excel, to be reduced to 1.5 ml when shrimp are added. 1ml macro, 1ml micro ferts started today. As above, advice would be appreciated on these as not 100% sure of the best course of action.
Lighting period set at 5hrs, 6-11pm.

feb20122050.jpg

feb20122052.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....'weight rock' removed photo.

Mate!!

This tank alone has inspired me to get back into the scene!

nayr88 said:
Mate!!

This tank alone has inspired me to get back into the scene!
:oops: Wow, cool man, and pleased your coming back!
Cheers,
Ady.

sr20det said:
Lovely tank, in the process of scaping an aquarium, this is inspiration, well done.
Thanks and happy scaping, its great fun!

Re: Aquanano40 Shrimp tank....Plant melt and new TDS meter.

Hi,
currently suffering a bit of plant melt, which i suspect is going to turn into a lot of plant melt!
Staurogyne, and HC all showing signs of leaves softening, ferts and liquid carbon dosing amounts as above post.
Any ideas and advice..... is it transition, c02, ferts?
Heres the damage:

Staurogyne:
feb20122054.jpg

HC:
feb20122055.jpg

feb20122056.jpg

On a more positive note the TDS meter ive been waiting for arrived today. Factory calibrated, temperature compensation, and wide range = ideal for me to measure my fish/shrimp tank water :geek:
I tested the tank and its 76ppm TDS, so a little on the low side for my planned CRS, so ive started experimenting with my salty shrimp bee shrimp GH booster. Just dosed 2.5ml to the 55l tank and the reading is now 102ppm TDS, so getting somewhere near. Dechlorinated tap water immediately reads 72ppm so ill add approx 1.75ml GH booster to each 25l drum of prepared water and see how i go. Im aiming (when at one water change per week) to get around 150 ppm post water change, increasing to a maximium of 180 ppm by the end of the week after fert dosing.... ill have to wait and see how the ferts effect the TDS over the course of a week.

TDS Meter:

feb20122057.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Plant melt & new TDS meter.

Hi Ady, dont know the reason for your plant issues. Probably CO2 !!! Lol, cos it always is. Got a link for that TDS meter ? Cheers

Hi Chris, probably right with c02, already dosing nearly 2x recommend excel though!
Heres the link mate, there are less expensive ones but thought id get a decent brand and one with a temp sensor on too:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HM-DIGITAL-TDS- ... 78&sr=8-34
Cheerio,
Ady.

Awesome nano and the more tanks I see like this the more determined I am to redo my epic aquascaping failures.

Ady34 said:
Hi Chris, probably right with c02, already dosing nearly 2x recommend excel though!
Heres the link mate, there are less expensive ones but thought id get a decent brand and one with a temp sensor on too:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HM-DIGITAL-TDS- ... 78&sr=8-34
Cheerio,
Ady.

Nice bit of kit. Reasonable price too. How do you intend using it ? Will you use it each time you do a water change ?

Antipofish said:
Nice bit of kit. Reasonable price too. How do you intend using it ? Will you use it each time you do a water change ?
im gonna use it all the time because its a new gadget.... tank water, water change water, tap water, bath water, rain water... :geek: :lol:
Seriously, ill use it to test the water regularly in the tank but predominantly pre and post water change to make sure im keeping the TDS within a suitable range.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Plant melt & new TDS meter.

Hey,

Ady,whats the TDS from the tap?
I know your wanting to keep Crystal red shrimp, so on the tds front one of the best things to have is a small bucket. In your case probably 5 litres, some airline and one of them airline taps.

Put them all together and you get a drip acclimatiser :p

I don't know how the 'salty shimp' raises tds, is it a powder? Therefore slowly. Or a liquid? Which will increase tds instantly?

I would recommend Mosura Mineral plus, its a liquid allowing you to adjust tds instantly before adding to tank.

Regards,
Nathaniel

Whitey89 said:
Hey,

Ady,whats the TDS from the tap?
I know your wanting to keep Crystal red shrimp, so on the tds front one of the best things to have is a small bucket. In your case probably 5 litres, some airline and one of them airline taps.

Put them all together and you get a drip acclimatiser :p

I don't know how the 'salty shimp' raises tds, is it a powder? Therefore slowly. Or a liquid? Which will increase tds instantly?

I would recommend Mosura Mineral plus, its a liquid allowing you to adjust tds instantly before adding to tank.

Regards,
Nathaniel

Cheers mate,
yeah salty shrimp is a powder, i just mix it up in a jug with bit of aquarium water (or the water change water) to dissolve it and then add it to the tank, its then pretty instant.
TDS is 72ppm from the tap, so pretty low.
Ill have to hunt out some old airline valves to make the drip acclimator, probably the best way to slowly acclimatise them :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Plant melt & new TDS meter.

Yeah I thought it was a lot softer over in darlington.
Mines like 300 which means I generally cut mine 50/50 with RO water.

Drip acclimatisation will be the best method for making changes easy!

Regards

Hi,

Lovely set up, will be ace when it all grows in.

The HC is suffering from low or fluctuating CO2. When I tried it in my 10L dennerle I had the same thing (link in my sig).

I got one of these TDS meters while ago after seeing the acronym used here. Other then a general idea of KH/GH what other stuff is this meter catching? Surely it measures all dissolved salts, including ferts but also fish wastes, silicates etc.....

Out of interest my CRS tank is at 180 TDS and they are breeding. My other tanks range from 130 to 210 dependant on dosing and hardscape.

My GH and KH of my tap water are between 0 and 2.

Best Regards,
John

JohnC said:
Hi,

Lovely set up, will be ace when it all grows in.

The HC is suffering from low or fluctuating CO2. When I tried it in my 10L dennerle I had the same thing (link in my sig).

I got one of these TDS meters while ago after seeing the acronym used here. Other then a general idea of KH/GH what other stuff is this meter catching? Surely it measures all dissolved salts, including ferts but also fish wastes, silicates etc.....

Out of interest my CRS tank is at 180 TDS and they are breeding. My other tanks range from 130 to 210 dependant on dosing and hardscape.

My GH and KH of my tap water are between 0 and 2.

Best Regards,
John

Hi John and thanks.
Awesome nano you had there, in its favour it had gas c02 and a greater amount of light than what im currently using, and at the moment im questioning whether this set up will grow in at all :( !? Did you run c02 24/7 with the dannerle nano system to keep it constant/stable rather than fiddling with it on/off every day? Im reasoning with c02 being the culprit here as its melt im seeing, but im also unsure if the light will be sufficient anyway. Probably hit a crossroads really where i either spend more money on extra lighting and gas c02, or remove the plants which are more demanding and add more moss/low light/low c02 plants. Unsure whether excel dosing will be sufficient for some of the plants... my melt seems to say no but it could be transition. This was supposed to be pretty low tech so maybe i should stick with mosses etc and just enjoy the shrimp!... when i get them.
Incidentally how would i know if there was too little light (symptoms)???
The TDS meter does measure all dissolved salts and is probably a more accurate way of conditioning water than using gh/kh test kits. The shrimpers seem to use them, so as i wanted crs i thought it a good investment. Ill be able to monitor my water and adjust/water change accordingly to keep it right. Got some surprising results from my 180l tank with it though... but thats another discussion.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back