• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Extra Light.

Ady34 said:
Bit disheartened at the moment, failed with stauro before and even the hydrocotle isnt doing great, so maybe need to try something else in here. Anyone got any suggestions, thought maybe some mini hairgrass, wendtti green crypt (maybe too large) or just some monosolenium tenerum and christmas moss? Seems a bit defeatist but if it aint working it aint working.

Cheerio,
Ady.

I found Crypt Wendetii green stayed really small in a low tech or with liquid co2, around 1.5 - 2 inches. Give it pressurized co2 and it becomes a 6-7 inch plus monster. :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Ive got the filter set up on the main tank as well as the big eheim but im wondering if i take it off if that will cause an issue in the main tank now ? What do you reckon ?
Will be ok. Your main filter and plants will keep the big tank in check :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Great to know. I will fill the nano this weekend in that case.

spyder said:
I found Crypt Wendetii green stayed really small in a low tech or with liquid co2, around 1.5 - 2 inches.
Thanks for the info spyder, thats good to know, i may well add some in that case, i have a hole that needs filling :silent:
Cheers,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Photo update.

Hi,
after all the issues i thought id post a few how it looks now photos.
It was water change night tonight so removed the old staurogyne stumps and the melted mass of hc leaving several gaps to fill. Going to cut water changes down to 1 40-50% per week (or 2 small ones). TDS is currently around 107ppm, but im aiming to increase this to around 130ppm. Need to get the test kits out and check for ammonia and nitrite, should be almost cycled now i would think, but need to check before adding livestock.

feb20122383.jpg

quite a bit of surface agitation to help with 02 saturation for the shrimp, no worry of gassing off c02 with liquid carbon!
feb20122382.jpg

The rotala at the rear is slowly growing....very slowly growing....but at least it is growing :thumbup:
feb20122384.jpg

Ill decide on plant replacements and update on changes as and when.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady, your setup looks amazing to me. If mine looked anything like yours, I would be very happy with it. No need to be disheartened mate, keep your chin up.

Looks really good mate, plants compliment the scape and the sense of scale is really impressive. If not for the easy to identify style of the tank, you could easily fool people into thinking this was a much bigger cube!

Jealous! :thumbup:

Hi,
AAB said:
Ady, your setup looks amazing to me. If mine looked anything like yours, I would be very happy with it. No need to be disheartened mate, keep your chin up.
Cheers for that mate, i feel a bit better about things now the melting plants are out, they were a bit of an in your face reminder! Mosses seem to be doing ok, although some of the weeping moss has brown areas under the new growth so may need to reattach it.

danmullan said:
Looks really good mate, plants compliment the scape and the sense of scale is really impressive. If not for the easy to identify style of the tank, you could easily fool people into thinking this was a much bigger cube!

Jealous! :thumbup:
Appreciate the comments mate, its funny, my brother had seen the pictures on ukaps and when he came round to visit he was shocked at the size of the tank....he was expecting something much bigger :) I may pop up a shot with my ugly mug next to it for scale :shifty:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Quick update.

Quick update.
Added some small green (unknown) crypts to the centre where the stauro and hc failed. Trying a bit more ranunculus too. Flame moss going great guns...fissidens slowly but surely as too the mini pelia. Pearl moss and weeping moss not so successful and the rotala has hit a standstill :? Thinking maybe some mosses dont like the liquid carbon, and maybe the stems need more? Considering super low tech now with reduced liquid carbon and ferts, but not decided yet.
Currently suffering a little staghorn algae along with some brown type on the glass and foreground sand. Carried out a full filtration system clean tonight and syphoned detrius from the filter chamber bottoms whilst cleaning the sponge and bio media....hopefully this will help clear the staghorn issue and will need to be done regularly as its surprising how much dirt there is in a tank without livestock!
Water changes down to one every 6 days, considering 2 smaller ones a week to benefit the shrimp but awaiting some advice on that front. TDS currently set at about 130ppm, can adjust if necessary.
Not going nearly as well as id hoped, but on a more positive note the tank is cycled, with the frowned upon test kits i still keep there is no sign of ammonia or nitrite so ill be able to order some shrimp soon....when funds allow.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady, will reply here to your question instead of PM.

Do not put CRS in until you sort out your melting plants. Reason is that as they melt they release sugars to water from leaves which are food for bacteria. You want to clean substrate a bit too to simply make it nice clean tank and do 3 full water changes and clean filter as if you had now melting plants your water can be pouted with too much bacteria load (wrong type of bacteria some vibrios etc.) Also get Mosura BT9 to promote good bacteria.

See the thing is ..you need to learn how to grow plants only then I would recommend to use them together with CRS else you fail at both. Swamp shrimp like cherry, sakura, yellow would be more or less OK. CRS, tiger etc are fresh stream shrimp so water must be tip top.

I would suggest either you put easy plants which will not melt in your low light setup such as crypts, ferns, hygrophilas and those mosses and lower easy carbo dozing to 1ml max. Or recommended doze on bottle. With crypts and ferns you do not need to fertilize every day just once a week. So your TDS will stay more or less same. +-10-20 is not problem for CRS. Then you do 10-20% water changes. Once less once more.

Temp 21 is perfect, fluctuations OK like in nature... Cover glass yes if you want to keep water to top but cover glass will increase your temp in summer too. Make sure you have good surface agitation (oxygenation) all the time as well. Or keep 2cm gap to get no jumpers.

Temperature fluctuation with water change is ok as long as you add colder water.

So again make sure no plants are melting anymore, unhealthy plants=unhealthy shrimp. That's why we put to tanks dried catapa or oak leaves only.. they are fermented already.. no sugars in them and so safe for shrimp.

FreshWaterShrimp said:
Ady, will reply here to your question instead of PM.

Do not put CRS in until you sort out your melting plants. Reason is that as they melt they release sugars to water from leaves which are food for bacteria. You want to clean substrate a bit too to simply make it nice clean tank and do 3 full water changes and clean filter as if you had now melting plants your water can be pouted with too much bacteria load (wrong type of bacteria some vibrios etc.) Also get Mosura BT9 to promote good bacteria.

See the thing is ..you need to learn how to grow plants only then I would recommend to use them together with CRS else you fail at both. Swamp shrimp like cherry, sakura, yellow would be more or less OK. CRS, tiger etc are fresh stream shrimp so water must be tip top.

I would suggest either you put easy plants which will not melt in your low light setup such as crypts, ferns, hygrophilas and those mosses and lower easy carbo dozing to 1ml max. Or recommended doze on bottle. With crypts and ferns you do not need to fertilize every day just once a week. So your TDS will stay more or less same. +-10-20 is not problem for CRS. Then you do 10-20% water changes. Once less once more.

Temp 21 is perfect, fluctuations OK like in nature... Cover glass yes if you want to keep water to top but cover glass will increase your temp in summer too. Make sure you have good surface agitation (oxygenation) all the time as well. Or keep 2cm gap to get no jumpers.

Temperature fluctuation with water change is ok as long as you add colder water.

So again make sure no plants are melting anymore, unhealthy plants=unhealthy shrimp. That's why we put to tanks dried catapa or oak leaves only.. they are fermented already.. no sugars in them and so safe for shrimp.
Thanks for the information....maybe i need to look at a different shrimp species :crazy: I initially wanted CRS as ive always liked them, my tap water was soft (low tds) so thought these to be a good option without having to adjust my water too much. Will Sakura or yellows be ok in low tds? I really need a shrimp that is suited to this type of environment as id like to keep the tank planted, i think ill swap out any not doing so well and try some more crypts and reduce liquid carbon. The melt has now stopped, all species that were melting have been removed and the filter media was thoroughly cleaned last night.
In reference to the Mosura bt9, is this something that needs to be used frequently or just to seed good bacteria initially?
Surface agitation is good so oxygen exchange wont be a problem and water change only results in reduced temp (of 1 degree celcius) so this should be ok too.
Guess i have more to think about again now, theres me thinking id sussed it with regards the water :?
Thanks again,
Ady.

Alastair said:
Tank looks fantastic mate, I'd be really proud of that. Looks great and once it's crawling with shrimp it will look complete. Well done mate your patience will pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Alastair,
not as healthy as id like plant wise, but with a few adjustments hopefully it should flourish :thumbup: .
Cant wait to have some shrimp in there too.
Cheers,
Ady.

Re: Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp ordered.

ooooh, just orderd 10 CRS :D
Cant wait to get the little critters in, theres only so much snail spotting you can do!
Reduced easy carbo to 1.5ml/day, will reduce further to 1ml/day when the shrimp arrive.
Staghorn still here, but itll maybe have to be a feature as i wont be doing huge water changes and overdosing liquid carbon to get rid of it with the shrimp arriving. Good tank husbandry and stabilising the c02 should eventually see it off.
Will post an update when they are settled in.
Ady.

Otto72 said:
Ady34 said:
ooooh, just orderd 10 CRS

Exciting! :thumbup:

Where did you order them from and grade?

btw if it was me I would lose the CO2 when the CRS arrive they don't mix well, I heard reports of people getting a lot of deaths with CO2 and CRS, my 2 cents ;)

On the contrary, many I know have co2 with shrimp with no ill effects.

I ordered yellows from FWS, and they are awesome. Only into the second week, and know how you are, I was excited to say the least

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Shrimp ordered.

Otto72 said:
Ady34 said:

btw if it was me I would lose the CO2 when the CRS arrive they don't mix well, I heard reports of people getting a lot of deaths with CO2 and CRS, my 2 cents ;)

Easy carbo & excel is worse than Co2.

Whitey89 said:
Otto72 said:
Ady34 said:

i second that
bring the co2 down slowly before they arrive, dont just turn right down over night do it over a good few days.

Otto72 said:
Ady34 said:

Hi there,
ordered from Freshwatershrimp and just got grade A. These will be fine for me.
Appreciate the advise on c02, there are conflicting reports everywhere you read about the subject, and with ferts. Im going to reduce both down, but not stop entirely unless i need too....hopefully i wont be haunted by it, but i am slightly apprehensive! Maybe drop the liquid carbon down to .75ml/day and dose ferts once or twice a week.

sr20det said:
ordered yellows from FWS, and they are awesome. Only into the second week, and know how you are, I was excited to say the least
....kid in a sweetshop :D hopefully i wont end up :sick:

Whitey89 said:
nayr88 said:
i second that
bring the co2 down slowly before they arrive, dont just turn right down over night do it over a good few days.
i have no experience to speak of, but like you i think chemicals must be worse than pressurised....shame i cant afford a c02 set up just yet, :idea: but maybe if i have to take down the studio 900 i can pop it on here, mind you the plants i now have left in here probably dont warrant c02 injection.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Just received confirmation that they have been shipped! :D :thumbup:

Nice one Ady34 look forward to lots of pics :thumbup:

I'm still in the process of getting everything together its very time consuming saving and buying eveything to set up a shrimp tank. I can't wait to get to the position you are in now ;)
I will defiantly be ordering from FreshWaterShrimp too, they have some lovely Sakura's I have my eye on, I think the perfect starter shrimp.
What I said about the CO2 is only what I have read by the way, I don't have any true real experience of keeping CRS with CO2 :bored:
What most concerned me more about it was the livelyhood of the offspring with CO2 more than the adults themselves.

After my Sakura tank is up and running, tank two will be CRS, I want to get good at this first before I dive into the expense :lol:

Back