• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium cabinet search

Tom72

I am looking for a suitable cabinet for a Dennerle scaper tank 70ltr. It needs to be 40cm Deep 50cm wide and aprox 70cm but no more than 80cm high. I am based in Leeds so don’t want to travel to far. My wife is extremely fussy but as yet I can not find anything.

Nice stands are dificult to find in my experience, there's definately a space in the market I would say. I've even mentioned it to a local joiner/cabinet maker as a bit of a sideline. I like the look of the WIO ones, but I've read about poor build quality and......they're like hens teeth.

Yes incredible how little variety there is, and how awful most of what’s out there is. Anything I like comes with a tank. I really thought it would be a breeze getting a cabinet but I have looked all overwill check WIO out and keep searching. Thanks for the tip

I'm an amateur woodworker. Have a full shop, am passable, but worse than bad at making my dreams of fine heirloom furniture a reality. Do you have maker shops in your area? Sometimes communities in our area have adult learning classes, there's one in my county/town for woodworking which will let you make your own project. might be an opportunity for you to use real equipment which is 90% of the success.

I think if that's not an option a local cabinet builder is your very best bet. Have your supporting weight calcs done ahead of time. Make sure that he/she understands that pocket screws aren't a solution for building this, as they aren't as good as traditional mortise and tenon joinery and a failure is catastrophic. You could also ask that it be finished with spar finish (for marine applications) so that water will just wipe off and leave no spots. Be prepared to spend some money, custom hardwood furniture that is durable is going to cost a fair bit, but it will be a fraction of what it would take to buy the wood, tools and finishing to get it done yourself and you'll likely be happier with the end product.

I have made stands in the past, so I am thinking it is the best way. I am just missing a router which would be perfect for the hinges. I do have cabinet makers near me but they are too expensive.

:(
Thanks, it’s not clear how tall it is. Doubtful my wife will like it but could be a contender. Will check it out online.
Think it 71cm!
You could always paint it then varnish with a matt finish!
I used this below on the door of my cabinet as they sent me the wrong door!
Amazon product ASIN B08265PJV4hoggie

Over the festive holidays, I made a new cabinet for my Juwel Vision 180 from reclaimed Scaffold boards and bought some IKEA BESTA doors/hinges for it. The tank is about 18 years old and the old stand was pretty tatty looking (was never really taken with the 'beech effect' anyway)

I did this as I couldn't find any decent looking tank stands anywhere!

The cost of the boards was £60, the doors were about the same. It took a couple of afternoons to put together.

IMG_20220105_132449.jpg

IMG_20220105_155540.jpg

IMG_20220122_123058.jpg

Last edited:
Over the festive holidays, I made a new cabinet for my Juwel Vision 180 from reclaimed Scaffold boards and bought some IKEA BESTA doors/hinges for it. The tank is about 18 years old and the old stand was pretty tatty looking (was never really taken with the 'beech effect' anyway)

The cost of the boards was £60, the doors were about the same. It took a couple of afternoons to put together.

View attachment 180773

View attachment 180775
View attachment 180777
Hi there
Very nice build .
Now the only downside is you need a bigger tank to fill the stand now.Haha ;)
Regards Konstantin

View attachment 180773

View attachment 180775
View attachment 180777

You have inspired me, a quick look on Facebook and I can get boards for £6, so very cheap, just a couple of questions, how thick are the boards and what did you use to finish them was it a stain or wax?

Back