• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Plant Food UK Closing Down

We have been <"down this route">, but I'm not sure any-one else has DIYed theirs.
have done it myself actually. works well and the best part is that you can make it to suit your co2 goals. if you want to aim for 15-20ppm then the drop chcker should be aound 3kh. as you've mentioned before, serial dillution is the best way to do this.

Oh no that’s a real shame, like others on this form I purchased the DIY kit the week, so to see them go is a real shame. ☹️ I wish both Jo & John all the best for the future.

Shame to see they have closed down, been buying from them for some years.

I have been in somewhat of a panic state since finding this out as I am due to order some more trace mix soon and I cant find any other option as economical as APFUK trace, I have over 1500L of planted tanks all EI dosing but after reading here I guess I'll be giving the Solufeed TEC a try.

Just wanted to ask, as I dont make up a solution but dry dose all of my tanks as per the Rotala butterfly calculator, do I treat the Solufeed TEC mix the same as APFUK in terms of dosing, ie dose the same amount and get similar values/concentrations in my tanks or do I need to adjust dosing any? Solufeed TEC isn't on the Rotala butterfly calculator and I'm not great with making calculations myself lol

Shame to see they have closed down, been buying from them for some years.

I have been in somewhat of a panic state since finding this out as I am due to order some more trace mix soon and I cant find any other option as economical as APFUK trace, I have over 1500L of planted tanks all EI dosing but after reading here I guess I'll be giving the Solufeed TEC a try.

Just wanted to ask, as I dont make up a solution but dry dose all of my tanks as per the Rotala butterfly calculator, do I treat the Solufeed TEC mix the same as APFUK in terms of dosing, ie dose the same amount and get similar values/concentrations in my tanks or do I need to adjust dosing any? Solufeed TEC isn't on the Rotala butterfly calculator and I'm not great with making calculations myself lol
What was your dosing regime with APFUK? and your Fe target?

I'm dosing EI as per Rotala butterfly calculator, eg my biggest tank is approx 900L including sump volume so I would drop 2.2g of APFUK trace into the tank, which would give me 0.2ppm FE on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, water change on Sundays, macros on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Attachments

• 538.jpg
    538.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 149
I'm dosing EI as per Rotala butterfly calculator, eg my biggest tank is approx 900L including sump volume so I would drop 2.2g of APFUK trace into the tank, which would give me 0.2ppm FE on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, water change on Sundays, macros on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Here you go. This is what you were dosing with APFUK. Look at the Dry Dosing column.
1649690216910.png

This is what you would need to dose with Solufeed. Look at the Dry Dosing column.
1649690197283.png

Divide that by 3 if you want to dose 3x a week.

If you want to tweak stuff you can download the calculator. It's in my signature.

Here you go. This is what you were dosing with APFUK. Look at the Dry Dosing column.
View attachment 186421

This is what you would need to dose with Solufeed. Look at the Dry Dosing column.
View attachment 186420
Divide that by 3 if you want to dose 3x a week.

If you want to tweak stuff you can download the calculator. It's in my signature.
Thank you, I notice that is with TEC-SF that has MG included which I dont plan to use, I will continue to dose magnesium sulphate for Mg so I planned to use the regular sodium free TEC, non SF..

I did try to use that calculator but its far too advanced for me sorry, I may as well be looking at the controls of a Boeing 747 lol also every drop down box to choose various options just says err;509

Thank you, I notice that is with TEC-SF that has MG included which I dont plan to use, I will continue to dose magnesium sulphate for Mg so I planned to use the regular sodium free TEC, non SF..

There you go.
1649690866047.png

every drop down box to choose various options just says err;509
With what version of Excel are you trying to open the file ?

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks again! So it seems Solufeed TEC is more or less the same and I can continue to use the same dose as APFUK trace.
Yes pretty close the same amount.

Ah! I dont have Excel on my PC, its opening with Open Office.
I see. Yeah the calculator is only compatible with Excel unfortunately.

With APFUK closing down is there anywhere else a dumbo like me can get dry ferts that give you easy to follow instructions? I'm not confident/knowledgeable enough to go with some of the options in this thread. I kinda just need something that says mix x amount with water and dose x amount per litre of aquarium water....
Cheers

Back