• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium plants in pot ?

eminor

Hello, i have 10 gallon tank which have no substrate just soft water with some ferts, i want the plant to grow in pot, which is the best media for them to grow in ?

can i use cotton, ceramic ring ? thx

Hi @eminor Is it for cultivating plants only? Many nurseries use rock wool... or you can use aqua soil or some other rich substrate - you don't really need much for a pot I suppose.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @eminor Is it for cultivating plants only? Many nurseries use rock wool... or you can use aqua soil or some other rich substrate - you don't really need much for a pot I suppose.

Cheers,
Michael
yes just to get some backup plant for my main aquarium =) thanks

Being a Walsted convert I have a couple of 75mm deep pots with organic fert. with a sand topping and they thrive. I'll be using a lot more in the future as you can move them around to get that mix you want or replace and failures without disturbing the substrate and making a mess.
Dirk

Being a Walsted convert I have a couple of 75mm deep pots with organic fert. with a sand topping and they thrive. I'll be using a lot more in the future as you can move them around to get that mix you want or replace and failures without disturbing the substrate and making a mess.
Dirk
which kind of organic ferts ? thx

Sorry should have read organic potting mix. If you go down this track avoid the ones with soil wetting agent. Orchid potting mix or similar.

img_6963-jpg.jpg

I posted this in the Lean Dosing thread - Roger Goh's shop, EI dosing + plants in aquasoil pots

'Pot' scape ;)
I Used various media from ADA AS at first, ceramic rings etc then moved on to inert substrates like sand and grit all seemed to work well as long as the maintenance was regular and it was being dosed very regular with urea as source of Nitrogen. I was dosing nearly 100 times a week via auto doser.

Last edited:
img_6963-jpg.jpg

I posted this in the Lean Dosing thread - Roger Goh's shop, EI dosing + plants in aquasoil pots

I'm thinking of doing the same in my next tank - which will be a display tank rather than a storage/growing-on tank - so I can more easily remove larger crypts and Echinodorus for trimming and splitting. I think I can hide pots behind or in amongst rocks etc.

I'm thinking of doing the same in my next tank - which will be a display tank rather than a storage/growing-on tank - so I can more easily remove larger crypts and Echinodorus for trimming and splitting. I think I can hide pots behind or in amongst rocks etc.
That is also my plan with next tank,also thinking sand for substrate for everything, something tells me it won't work well, also something tells me it 'might' work also.

I really like the idea of pots as you can grow it in another tank and instant impact by just swapping pots.

That is also my plan with next tank,also thinking sand for substrate for everything, something tells me it won't work well, also something tells me it 'might' work also.

I really like the idea of pots as you can grow it in another tank and instant impact by just swapping pots.

Yeah, definitely sand for me - I like to have open areas in amongst the planted ones, and Aqua soil never looks natural, and keeping sand and Aqua soil separate is a nightmare.

It’s also the maintenance for me with the pots idea. I have a huge Crypt Spiralis Tiger in my tank now, that I absolutely can’t deal with without destroying the entire scape. If I’d put it in a pot, and made the pot hidden, but still easily removable, it would have been so much easier to deal with.

I’m going to take the same approach with mosses, as I find them a complete nightmare to trim in tank as well. So rather than glue or tie the moss to hardscape, I’m going to tie them to bits of lava rock, or small bent stainless mesh pads, that I can place onto rock work, or clip onto wood for easy later removal for trimming outside of the tank.

With pots you can use pretty much anything you like as long as it has a bottom in it. My next lunatic venture is to redo my 820lt with platforms or shelves. I plan on using various shaped plastic nursery pots or DIY 90mm pvc pipe cut to whatever lengths 50-75mm and capped with end stoppers. This should give me various heights and plenty of scope to place the plants then move them around without creating dust storms everytime when pulling plants from the substrate. To cover the fronts of the pots I plan on using black poly gutter guard in strips or sections and plant various mosses or dense climbing plants. Not sure which as this stage as this going to be long term fly by the seat of your pants project.

Dirk

I have a huge Crypt Spiralis Tiger in my tank now. .
Off topic I know but how big does it get, I put one in my 60x45x36 and now think it might be a bit “robust”.

I dunno if this helps but I trim moss like a hairdresser, pull it between fingers and then trim and put the held part in a bucket, afterwards I then hoover up with my patented precision water changer. (A eheim crook cut down a bit).

Off topic I know but how big does it get, I put one in my 60x45x36 and now think it might be a bit “robust”.

I have some leaves that must be getting on for 80cm - it's the quantity of leaves too - if I was going to guess, I'd say I must have 40-50 leaves coming off it. It's likely put out daughter plants, but I can't tell as I can't get to it, and because I put it in a stupid position between hardscape the . . .

6c4135de-52bd-4d37-aa97-e58bf7bc527e_text.gif

I dunno if this helps but I trim moss like a hairdresser, pull it between fingers and then trim and put the held part in a bucket, afterwards I then hoover up with my patented precision water changer. (A eheim crook cut down a bit).

It's the latter part that's the problem - no matter how good the hoovering, you always end up with tiny bits all over the tank. Far easier if you can pull a piece of rock out of the tank, trim the moss in the sink, rinse and replace it.

Back