• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Tank

ArronM

So I’m wanting to make a Galaxy Rasbora with shrimp tank. Aquascaped using soil (First time)

I’m wanting a carpet but not wanting to use injected C02. What size tank and lighting setup, filter and heater would you advice? Glass only with a raised light is what I’m after :)

So I’m wanting to make a Galaxy Rasbora with shrimp tank. Aquascaped using soil (First time)

I’m wanting a carpet but not wanting to use injected C02. What size tank and lighting setup, filter and heater would you advice? Glass only with a raised light is what I’m after :)
Very difficult question to answer mate as it’s all based on you’re personal finances.

I’d always recommend the largest tank you can afford, but a 60cm tank is a great size to start with and will be fine for a littler shoal of Galaxy Rasbora.

You've got several challenges here, including that any kind of carpet is really going to struggle without injected CO2, and that fish tend to eat shrimp. The fish/shrimp is the bigger challenge since you can always add CO2 later. I have amano shrimp peacefully co-existing with rummy nosed tetras and 5/6-banded barbs, but they've grown up together and the amanos are big enough to tear a fish's face off if the fish wanted to try to get fresh. I tried adding in some smaller neocaridina shrimp and the barbs tore them apart. Start with the shrimp, then add fish is advice you sometime hear about getting them to peacefully co-exist.

Very difficult question to answer mate as it’s all based on you’re personal finances.

I’d always recommend the largest tank you can afford, but a 60cm tank is a great size to start with and will be fine for a littler shoal of Galaxy Rasbora.
Hey thanks for that. I’m more looking into a tank only with internal filter I’m not that advanced yet for aquascaping that’s Somthing I would look into tho for a nice living room set!

Hey thanks for that. I’m more looking into a tank only with internal filter I’m not that advanced yet for aquascaping that’s Somthing I would look into tho for a nice living room set!
You don’t need to be advanced to have a nice setup mate. I’d argue the oase biomaster is Great for beginners as it has a pre filter which makes maintaining it so much easier.

If your looking for a little tank to dip your toes in, try a few plants keep a few fish, then Perhaps go for an Oase Styline 85.
It comes with an internal filter, a light and and a cabinet, everting you need to get going.

The beauty of that is, less hassle choosing from the endless products out there, and I’m sure you could add a canister filter later down the line should you wish to upgrade your setup.

You've got several challenges here, including that any kind of carpet is really going to struggle without injected CO2, and that fish tend to eat shrimp. The fish/shrimp is the bigger challenge since you can always add CO2 later. I have amano shrimp peacefully co-existing with rummy nosed tetras and 5/6-banded barbs, but they've grown up together and the amanos are big enough to tear a fish's face off if the fish wanted to try to get fresh. I tried adding in some smaller neocaridina shrimp and the barbs tore them apart. Start with the shrimp, then add fish is advice you sometime hear about getting them to peacefully co-exist.
I want to do C02 Injection tbh but it’s a tad confusing for me at the moment… I do want a nice centre piece in the living room with a nice carpet and a few shoals of fish. But it may be to much to handle at the moment…

I don’t know

You don’t need to be advanced to have a nice setup mate. I’d argue the oase biomaster is Great for beginners as it has a pre filter which makes maintaining it so much easier.

If your looking for a little tank to dip your toes in, try a few plants keep a few fish, then Perhaps go for an Oase Styline 85.
It comes with an internal filter, a light and and a cabinet, everting you need to get going.

The beauty of that is, less hassle choosing from the endless products out there, and I’m sure you could add a canister filter later down the line should you wish to upgrade your setup.
I have a Roma 90L that’s got plants in currently doing a cycle before adding new fish it’s going to be a pea puffer tank. With Java fern, anubius some floating plants etc with a nice bit of red wood and some dragon stone. But I want to step my game up with a nice carpet setup. I’m also wanting to do a nano tank for shrimp.

I get confused of what lights to use for what plants stuff like that I’ve got a lot to learn.

I have a Roma 90L that’s got plants in currently doing a cycle before adding new fish it’s going to be a pea puffer tank. With Java fern, anubius some floating plants etc with a nice bit of red wood and some dragon stone. But I want to step my game up with a nice carpet setup. I’m also wanting to do a nano tank for shrimp.

I get confused of what lights to use for what plants stuff like that I’ve got a lot to learn.
Decide what size tank you want then go from there. As I say, it’s all budget dependent.
If it was me. I’d start building a really nice high end setup and using your current setup as “Guinea pig” try different plants in there and see how they fair.
Grow them out and then use them in your new setup.

Once you’ve decided on the size tank you want, then buy it, then slowly build up the equipment (unless money isn’t an object) once it’s all collected and you have everything you need then you can get going with it.
Taking the new system slowly will allow you to try some plants out, do more research etc…..
You can then either run two tanks or just run your new tank and sell the old one.

Decide what size tank you want then go from there. As I say, it’s all budget dependent.
If it was me. I’d start building a really nice high end setup and using your current setup as “Guinea pig” try different plants in there and see how they fair.
Grow them out and then use them in your new setup.

Well I’ll be keeping my current tank, and expanding into my fish room that’s being built in the new house. Can’t wait.

My Roma 90L seems the light is to close to the surface could be wrong tho. But I’ll be keeping that for pea puffers but the plant experiment would be a good idea.

I could have about £800 spare for a nice feature tank for the living room. But it’s the bits and bibs that all adds up isnt it

Yeah it certainly adds up fast. Especially when a high end tank will set you back that £800 before you’ve even added anything to it.
That’s said. If you’re not overly fussy and want something that pleases the eye without looking to deeply.
All pond solutions do a cheap optiwhite aquarium. You just need to find a stand and you’re halfway there.

I don’t know if you watch MD fish tanks on YouTube. I personally think he’s 50/50 doesn’t know what he’s talking about but has a knack for creating cheap aquariums that’s look half decent.

Check his channel out for inspiration.

One of the best things about planted tanks for me is that they can be done without spending too much if you don't want to. You can certainly spend £800 on just some hardscape etc but you really don't have to.

60cm is a good starting point for CPD and shrimp, you could go smaller for shrimp only.

Decide on the size of tank you want and look around, there are lots of companies out there now offering very nice tanks for little money (Wio, waterbox and Strideways aquariums are all very nice), cabinets are usually the most expensive part.

CO2 can sound scary to start with, but once you get started it really is quite easy (well mostly :) )

Yeah. Good luck. I had a colony of cherry shrimp with galaxies for a few years and they twice caused the colony to collapse through predation needing me to dump in another 100 or so from another tank to get the colony going again. They are a very predatory species and are not really shrimp safe at all in my experience.

Yeah. Good luck. I had a colony of cherry shrimp with galaxies for a few years and they twice caused the colony to collapse through predation needing me to dump in another 100 or so from another tank to get the colony going again. They are a very predatory species and are not really shrimp safe at all in my experience.
Was this a case of them predating on the shrimp fry, or are they able to predate on larger shrimp too?

Up to about 1cm then they could fall victim. Above that size they seemed less vulnerable though I have seen 15mm or so to be attached immediately post molt.

One of the best things about planted tanks for me is that they can be done without spending too much if you don't want to. You can certainly spend £800 on just some hardscape etc but you really don't have to.

60cm is a good starting point for CPD and shrimp, you could go smaller for shrimp only.

Decide on the size of tank you want and look around, there are lots of companies out there now offering very nice tanks for little money (Wio, waterbox and Strideways aquariums are all very nice), cabinets are usually the most expensive part.

CO2 can sound scary to start with, but once you get started it really is quite easy (well mostly :) )
I like this one for a shrimp only tank,, what’s the light that comes with it is it sufficient enough to actually do it’s job?

Thanks for this, I’ll keep the shrimp tank species only then.

Thanks for this, I’ll keep the shrimp tank species only then.
Get a Waterbox cube 10 or 20 then mate. You can buy them with an AI Prime light too (you need the freshwater one, not the reef light).
It’s a powerful little light and will do the job for any plant in that size tank (by any plant that means if you use co2 or not obviously).
It might even come with the return pump too?

Get a Waterbox cube 10 or 20 then mate. You can buy them with an AI Prime light too (you need the freshwater one, not the reef light).
It’s a powerful little light and will do the job for any plant in that size tank (by any plant that means if you use co2 or not obviously).
It might even come with the return pump too?

I’ll take a look, did you see the above link?

Back