• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium underlay matting

If you want something actually “supportive” look for anti-vibration pad (closed cell foam)

I use ADA garden mats - reasonably priced for what they are - but then there are frequent large trucks and occasional minor quakes

eBay linked product looks to be an open cell foam but easy to confirm by asking
- if seller has no idea that’s reason enough for me not to purchase ;)

Everyone used Polystyrene when I first got a tank in the 1980’s. My tank was 36” long, 23” high and 20” front to back and I never had any problem with it and I had a heater mat between the Polystyrene and the glass. It doesn’t look good though so you need to hide it with some trim or tape. The thin black mats sold with the Nano’s work well and look better. As said I believe you need closed cell foam. Let us know what works for you in the end and where you obtained it.

If anyone is interested I've found this stuff:
https://www.poly-props.com/craft-foam/craftfoam
it's £10 for a 1mx2m 1cm thick sheet.
It is a closed cell eva craft foam (same as eva tiles), which I'm hoping will be ideal, I've been trying to cut polystyrene down all day and it just keeps breaking along the edges.
It comes in three densities and I'm not entirely sure which one is best?

My tank was 36” long, 23” high and 20” front to back and I never had any problem with it and I had a heater mat between the Polystyrene and the glass
Rim less tank?

It really depends on what you need that under tank mat to do

No, it had braces front and back. It was 10mm glass obviously. The matting is only there to take out any irregularities between the tank and the base, at least that’s what I was told.

I’m going to use an under tank heater on my Nano and unfortunately there is a plastic moulding that covers the electrical connections where it joins the mat. On my old tank I just made a cutout in the underlay for it but these latest mats seem to have a thicker connector. I’m waiting till it arrives but I’ll likely need 10mm or 12mm mat to allow for this.

I use this universal matting, it's pretty much identical to ADA Garden Mat but a fraction of the price ;)
Definitely a great price but I don’t see any claims of anti-vibration :confused: and the mats seem thin

I’ve just used the ADA mats (which come in a lot cheaper than the equestrian version :D) without much thought (did look at an some alternatives but they compressed to a thin hard line with any pressure)

Since this topic I looked at my 60P filled and the mat shows negligible compression - I haven’t trimmed the mat :oops:

I have ordered a sample pack of the foam which includes all the densities so will report back...

Please let us know your thoughts once you've received the sample. I've got a whole fishroom to deck out!

Back