• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium underlay matting

I've actually had a sample pack delivered today but I'm still not sure which to choose!

I got mine too.
The standard foam is 45 density, the middle 65 and the top 100.
The 100 is too dense and has little compressibility. I think it would be useful for monster tanks, or I'd use their hybrid foam. I don't think the cost is justified for smaller tanks.
If you wanted only 0.5 cm thickness I'd go with the 65 foam, but I think with a big tank it could bottom out at 0.5..
To compare I then stacked the two sheets of 45 from the trial pack so I had a 10mm 45 and 10mm 65. I couldn't really tell the difference between 45 and 65. I certainly can't compress a 1cm thickness of either to collapse. Both are flexible and should compress to give a smooth top ironing out but not transmitting high spots. Not that there are any in the stand as far as I can tell. Both absorb point pressure well but don't deform much with my whole body weight on it, both 45 and 65 are easy to cut with a standard knife. I'm putting a 400l tank on it and just ordered the 45, I hope it's the right choice!
I'll post the tests that I did later in full.

But I sat a 10x10cm square of wood on the foam and stood on it on one leg, that's about 75kg going through 10cm with no collapse on either foam. For point pressure I used a pen point to equate to a grain of sand under a tank, all foams absorbed it, the least dense the most quickly but damaged the most.

Even the standard craft foam is the same density as high impact gym mats etc....

Last edited:
I've come away from it thinking I probably won't be using it, to be honest. Did you end up ordering 5mm?

My issue is I'm not buying this for a show tank on a stand. I'm buying it for my fishroom which consists of tanks with foot prints of 60cm x 60cm, 120cm x 60cm and 1800 x 60cm. So I'm not going to use a whole sheet under each tank because my pockets just aren't deep enough, unfortunately! So I'm going to cut strips and fix them to the racking wherever wood would come into contact with glass - which is only at the perimeter. The main problem I have is there's one ever so slightly twisted timber in one of the racks. It would be a massive pain to change it out at this point so I've decided to just account for it by using some kind of underlay that can compress where it needs to without affecting the level of the tank. I've tried so many different materials now but none are quite right.

At the moment the tanks are sitting on 20mm polystyrene sheets but it doesn't look great, takes up a lot of vertical space, and isn't quite square at the corners - which means I've got external corners of tanks floating in the air a few mm here and there. I thought I'd make do with it but I've got a job to do in there that's going to require the removal of the tanks one rack at a time; so I figure while they're out I may as well solve this problem once and for all.

I was hoping the craft foam was going to end up being the same stuff used on the Evolution Aqua tanks but it definitely feels different to me. I'm probably 50/50 between just using the CF45 at 10mm which I think will probably do the job fine, or continuing to look for something superior.

Last edited:
Too late to edit my (upon second reading) redundant question! So you went with 10mm of CF45?

I started the fishroom makeover today. I ended up going with CF45 in 10mm and it seems ideal. Still got 5 racks to do, though!

Mine arrived the other day, all trimmed to size and under the tank. I don’t know what grade it is but suspect it’s the CF45 though and I’m sure it will be fine.

Back