• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Vs. Landlord

Worshiper

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this query. Please delete if not allowed. I needed some advice.

I live in a rented property and we faced a bit of mould due to an incorrectly fixed door(draft coming through the gaps).
My landlord is adamant that it is due to the rimless aquarium! 😢 It's a 100 litre aquarium.

I have suggested that I get a lid for it but the landlord isnt happy with that either. Is there any way to assure the landlord or is it now just a matter of getting rid of the tank till I move house 😔?
Really upset about this! Any suggestion will be helpful 🙏🏻

Unfortunately, it sounds like the landlord won't be happy till it's gone. Did you get anything in writing about pets/fishtank?

I was in a similar situation when I rented and it was a struggle to get their agreement initially to allow me to have a tank inside the property

It was only resolved when all parties agreed for a stipulation to be added to the tenancy agreement that I would be liable for any damages that may be caused as a result of anything 'going wrong'... nothing did

I've currently not been in the hobby for 18+ months (moved back home with parents to save the last bit for deposit) but have bought a property and due to complete in April.... I can't work out if I'm more excited that I've bought a property or that I will be able to get back into the hobby 🤷

Hope things work out for you

Unfortunately, it sounds like the landlord won't be happy till it's gone. Did you get anything in writing about pets/fishtank?
Yes Nick. Seems so! Contract says no pets but nothing specific about aquariums. I suppose its classified as a pet 🤔. Its fair though as if he feels its damaging to his property then I understand. Theres never been an issue with it the last 5 years but a silly handyman said that the tank is a major source of condensation so he has reacted.
My contracts till July so I guess its a goodbye to the landlord after that! Just hoping there are landlords that will allow a fish tank else I just gotta leave the hobby.

I was in a similar situation when I rented and it was a struggle to get their agreement initially to allow me to have a tank inside the property

It was only resolved when all parties agreed for a stipulation to be added to the tenancy agreement that I would be liable for any damages that may be caused as a result of anything 'going wrong'... nothing did

I've currently not been in the hobby for 18+ months (moved back home with parents to save the last bit for deposit) but have bought a property and due to complete in April.... I can't work out if I'm more excited that I've bought a property or that I will be able to get back into the hobby 🤷

Hope things work out for you
Congrats on the property! I could only imagine how you must feel. A good home and a good tank 🙂
I kinda knew that it was over when the landlord spoke to me but just thought I'd check if anyone else was in a similar situation. (Misery likes company 😔).

Yes Nick. Seems so! Contract says no pets but nothing specific about aquariums. I suppose its classified as a pet 🤔. Its fair though as if he feels its damaging to his property then I understand. Theres never been an issue with it the last 5 years but a silly handyman said that the tank is a major source of condensation so he has reacted.
My contracts till July so I guess its a goodbye to the landlord after that! Just hoping there are landlords that will allow a fish tank else I just gotta leave the hobby.
To be honest I think most of what I said in my post is irrelevant now as although I never had any issues with my landlord if they had been advised that my tank was a major source of condensation as is your situation I have no doubt the tank would've had to go...

It's just one of the downsides to renting unfortunately but there are definitely landlords out there that there won't have a problem with it IMO

To be honest, I'd be inclined to agree with the landlord/handyman. An open top container full of warm water evaporating could certainly contribute. Maybe look at ways you could mitigate e.g. you might suggest that you add a lid and purchase a dehumidifier and then the landlord reinspects in 3 months time and if that has resolved it the tank can stay.

Thank you all for your replies. The tank will go into storage till we move house. I have to honour the landlords request not just out of necessity but of principle.

Aquarium - 0 Landlord - 1
😀
I had to leave the hobby because of landlords. Given the state of the world, I suspect it’s the same for an awful lot of us without the ability to purchase.

Sounds like a convenient excuse to me tbh, but as you say, it is the landlord house in the end.
Yeah. Funny enough he loved the tank everytime he visited and had one of his own till recently.
But I respect his decision.

Change it to plant only “see, no pets Mr Landlord”.
Remove the water and turn it into a terrarium/vivarium ;) no issue then! get a lid add some frogs!

It's obvious nothing to do with aquarium. You know the landlord best you could offer to pay(l know) for a report from a surveyor to get what's really causing the issue. Biggest cause is lack of air circulation or insulation pushed in cavity's. Or caused by condensation as you get in kitchens. If the landlord open to your offer you could ask rethink on keeping your tank and show examples of aquaria in dentists doctors surgery's hospitals etc to prove the point. You know the landlord though so best to keep a friendly approach. My daughter just had to report rising damp in her rented house the landlady gave her free month normally 600 pound calendar month and got damp proof survey in quick. Good luck

It's obvious nothing to do with aquarium. You know the landlord best you could offer to pay(l know) for a report from a surveyor to get what's really causing the issue. Biggest cause is lack of air circulation or insulation pushed in cavity's. Or caused by condensation as you get in kitchens. If the landlord open to your offer you could ask rethink on keeping your tank and show examples of aquaria in dentists doctors surgery's hospitals etc to prove the point. You know the landlord though so best to keep a friendly approach. My daughter just had to report rising damp in her rented house the landlady gave her free month normally 600 pound calendar month and got damp proof survey in quick. Good luck
Thanks Paraguay.

Okay so the landlord has after much deliberation agreed to my first suggestion of getting a lid if I want to keep the aquarium. Really happy with this as atleast I dont have to leave the hobby!

Now the only requirement is that it has to be a tight lid. Any suggestions on this?
I googled perspex sheets but they will need drilled holes and wont be a tight fit due to being a rimless.
The tank is a rimless 80cm by 40cm.

Im not sure this is the answer youre looking for @Worshiper but you can buy clips to put on the edge of rimless tanks that allow you to rest a cover on it. Your tank cannot have a vacuum sealed lid, if that is what the landlord is hoping for when he says a tight lid, there needs to be gaseous exchange. But a tank mostly covered by a lid with a few holes and minor openings will be perfectly ok. The humidity will deposit on the lid before the rest of the air makes its way out the holes, if that makes sense. We live in a very damp apartment, and I have to keep my tank covered for this reason. Leaving just one flap open will make the room noticeably humid, but a few small holes, no problem.

Back