• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 600 “ happy I think..maybe not”

Nice looking scape with healthy plant growth. You might want to think about adding a few more plants, maybe fast growing stems. It'll give you a bit more biological stability, and more wriggle room.

View attachment 123351 View attachment 123352 I was in pets at home yesterday, and picked up what was described as Rams. There was also Royal rams, both looked to me to be Bolivian..

I have attached a couple of photos, it would be great if someone could nail down exactly what I have purchased....Bolivian?!?

Cheers,

Oscar.
I'm not totally sure what variety they are either but would like to know since I have a couple form P@H too. I suspect that one had internal parasites or some sort of bacterial infection since it was decidedly off colour and had stringy poo. However, several days of clean water, and good food, can work wonders; it seems fine now. I always think it's best to just to see how they settle in first before deworming etc. Sometimes all they need is a bit of TLC.

46883418524_95f212d442_c.jpg

Issue over the past couple of days
Firstly I purchased another 6 rosy tetras, that is 12 in total. A couple of hours after they had settled, the female ram started annoying the tetras. The following day one tetra was found dead, and female ram had jumped from tank.

She could have been pregnant, due to her colouring/ might have been stressed?!?

Anyway sad days, will I have to purchase another female for the remaining male ram?!?
He seems happy at the moment with normal behaviour....and no issues with him and the tetras

Oscar

Nice looking scape with healthy plant growth. You might want to think about adding a few more plants, maybe fast growing stems. It'll give you a bit more biological stability, and more wriggle room.

Not much room for anymore plants unfortunately :(carpet takes up most of left hand side/back of tank.
Hygrophila siamensis 53b is my stem plant back right/ with crypto taking up the rest of soil space front/middle right hand side.

Cheers Tim.

I'm not totally sure what variety they are either but would like to know since I have a couple form P@H too. I suspect that one had internal parasites or some sort of bacterial infection since it was decidedly off colour and had stringy poo. However, several days of clean water, and good food, can work wonders; it seems fine now. I always think it's best to just to see how they settle in first before deworming etc. Sometimes all they need is a bit of TLC.

Amazing for your first tank! Love this! Shows what can be done without co2!

:thumbup: Just liquid carbon/ evolution all in one plant food..
And don’t forget those twice weekly water changes. Still have the light only on around 60% intensity..
Cheers Matt.

The following day one tetra was found dead, and female ram had jumped from tank.
just coincidental I suspect - if the tetra was inactive enough to be unable to evade the ram, it was likely not feeling that well

Male ram will be fine
I’m seldom a proponent of keeping only “two” cichlids - any aggression will be focused on a single individual - so I’d try a group if you want to add more rams ... whilst in his solo state he’s going to think it’s all HIS territory
Some rams are fairly restrained in their reaction to interlopers, others not to much ... I had one female for a few years that had her own tank - some tetras allowed ;)
(she was initially part of a group of 7 - and managed to terrorize them all (until I moved her to another tank))

I have a group of seven electric blue rams in a 60 x 45 x 53cm (tall) heavily planted aquarium (at the moment no dither fish so I don’t see a lot of them, except at feeding time) - note this group is “wild type” in size, M ramirezi 35-45mm SL

Recently I was in a lfs, and the “blue rams” were triple the volume :eek: - longer, taller and much chunkier ... strange looking fish :confused:

Was it the fish in the lower (April 7) photo that jumped - while it may be a moment in time captured by a photo, that fish looks stressed - stress bars, clamped fins

Was it the fish in the lower (April 7) photo that jumped - while it may be a moment in time captured by a photo, that fish looks stressed - stress bars, clamped fins

No those two were from pets at home £10 for the two, after some feed back I gave these two to a friend...
I then purchased two from Maidenhead aquatics for £25 a pair - it was the female from this batch that jumped...

B023FEED-55DB-45FB-AC00-3451FAE68310.jpeg
FC3DB642-DF49-4761-A708-C2C1D6DBDB6A.jpeg
40BA5F91-6143-4164-93B6-D7AA1472B744.jpeg
Just a small update.
Hygrophila siamensis 53b has grown in well in background. I removed the s/reopens and planted a couple of crypto in its place. Also added more bucephalandra/ wavy green and red in the foreground.....
Hopefully a few photos attached ;)

Need some experienced feedback if possible guys...my tank is just over 100 litres, and at the moment I have the following:
6 green tetras
10 rosy tetras
2 amano shrinps
I think I’m fully stocked, but would like if possible a couple of stand out fish, I think agassizii are stunning... what do you guys think?? :nailbiting: I have good filtration over x10, and carry out a 40 percent water change weekly.. just though I’d add this information...

Last edited:
So I went in by local LFS today , and ended up purchasing x2 Apisto macmaster... great looking fish/ I will let them settle hopefully get some pictures soon....:thumbup:
Has anyone got any experience with this type?!?

Thanks,

Oscar.

7DF7CF15-782D-4FDB-9A90-01BC85D4082B.jpeg
92B4C3C6-EA7E-44A1-850A-6CD4D5B1BE96.jpeg
As promised here is a couple of pictures of the new guys.... fed the tank this morning/ as usual the rosy tetras/ and green were in it straight away.. New guys didn’t seem that interested, are they middle/bottom feeders- as if so we might run into issues :(
I know it can take several days before they feel at home, but just thought I’d put it out there ?!?

Cheers again ,

Oscar.

Back