• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 600 “ happy I think..maybe not”

Hi all,
They look nice and a pair.
but just thought I’d put it out there ?!?
They feed from the bottom and often don't show much enthusiasm for dry or pellet food.

I feed mine <"mainly live food">, other people use frozen etc. or raise BBS for them.

If you have access to small earth-worms? they would be too big for the Tetras to eat. I'm away from home for the next fortnight, but I can send you a "live food culture" mix when I'm back.

cheers Darrel

D545773E-D9EF-4318-890D-4093D42A5CBC.jpeg
A23CA756-B3C2-445F-A584-A0249691AB4D.jpeg
2101CBFC-000A-413E-8F8B-5009CAD37A04.jpeg
2DDB8A66-027E-434C-A20E-8E5E80605365.jpeg
View attachment 126748 Hi guys,
Just another small update, crypts are seeming to grow in nicely fingers crossed.
I’ve attached some wavy green high up on juniper wood, I want to create plant being sub/ and emerged also ?! Any thoughts on this, will it grow emerged....I’ve attached some on juniper wood a bit lower down/ you can see.. it seems okay in that light.. light intensity still only 60% as was to if possible not have to much maintenance ... That said I’m dosing with l/carbon and plant food daily and doing a 40/50 % water change weekly.. the joys :thumbup:

Thanks guys ..

Oscar

Last edited:
Hi again guys,
Okay so I’m going away for a couple of weeks, and have a maintenance dilemma as we all have from time to time .
I have someone coming in to top up my water obviously as will have evaporation issues.

The question is can I get away “if keeping lights” offf, without having my regime of liquid carbon/ ferts added until my return...

Adding carbon/ferts is something I’d rather not ask my friend to be adding- as said will I get away with it..... or is it something inevitable I will have to get them to carry out..

Thanks again as always;)

Oscar

Hey good looking tank. I have the 305 filter so I have the same pipe work as you. I am assuming the lily pipes you bought are the 17mm OD ones?

Hey good looking tank. I have the 305 filter so I have the same pipe work as you. I am assuming the lily pipes you bought are the 17mm OD ones?
Cheers Jimi.............:)yep they are, purchased from aquarium gardens alongside the lighting/juniper wood..

Hi all,
Okay so I’m going away for a couple of weeks
The question is can I get away “if keeping lights” off, without having my regime of liquid carbon/ ferts added until my return...
I'd definitely wouldn't turn the lights off for longer than a week. I'd be happier with the visitor just topping up the water.

I'm away from the tanks (all low tech) for extended periods. Before I go I usually just clean the filter intake sponge and make sure the floating plants are healthy, but not covering more than 1/2 of the surface area. I've been away for up to six weeks without any issues doing this.

Also if you want them to feed the fish put a small amount of fish food in a dated container, and then ask them to tip all the food into the tank on the set date. You can probably get away with two feedings (a container for each week) for the time you are away.

I've learned this the <"hard way">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I'd definitely wouldn't turn the lights off for longer than a week. I'd be happier with the visitor just topping up the water.

I'm away from the tanks (all low tech) for extended periods. Before I go I usually just clean the filter intake sponge and make sure the floating plants are healthy, but not covering more than 1/2 of the surface area. I've been away for up to six weeks without any issues doing this.

Also if you want them to feed the fish put a small amount of fish food in a dated container, and then ask them to tip all the food into the tank on the set date. You can probably get away with two feedings (a container for each week) for the time you are away.

I've learned this the <"hard way">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel :thumbup:
Sad days , I think I might just stay at home :)
I’m thinking getting my friend to feed every 2nd day. BUT also I’m thinking what if I leave my lights on” lowest setting” on the normal 6hr setting.. lowest setting on lights just gives a slight glow nothing else ?!

Again any thoughts much appreciated..

Hi all,
Sad days , I think I might just stay at home
It has been the only real disaster in over fifteen years of house-swapping.
I’m thinking getting my friend to feed every 2nd day.
Entirely up to you, but the fish are fine on thinner rations for two weeks and it limits the amount of nutrients entering the system. I actually don't worry too much when I'm away now, this is since I started labeling and portioning the food out.
BUT also I’m thinking what if I leave my lights on” lowest setting” on the normal 6hr setting.. lowest setting on lights just gives a slight glow nothing else ?!
I definitely wouldn't turn the light down, or shorten the photo-period (below your present six hours).

The reason is that you need the <"photosynthetically active radiation"> (PAR) level to be above <"light compensation point (LCP)"> for the plants to grow, and you really want the plants growing.

Plants are just <"the gift that keeps giving">. I look upon <"actively growing plants"> as the single most important factor in aquarium management.

This is particularly true while I'm away, I want the plants growing, taking in nutrients & CO2 and <"producing oxygen">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It has been the only real disaster in over fifteen years of house-swapping. Entirely up to you, but the fish are fine on thinner rations for two weeks and it limits the amount of nutrients entering the system. I actually don't worry too much when I'm away now, this is since I started labeling and portioning the food out. I definitely wouldn't turn the light down, or shorten the photo-period (below your present six hours).

The reason is that you need the <"photosynthetically active radiation"> (PAR) level to be above <"light compensation point (LCP)"> for the plants to grow, and you really want the plants growing.

Plants are just <"the gift that keeps giving">. I look upon <"actively growing plants"> as the single most important factor in aquarium management.

This is particularly true while I'm away, I want the plants growing, taking in nutrients & CO2 and <"producing oxygen">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel interesting read ...I was under the impression if leaving lights on while away on timer, would mean I would need to “keep”adding the l/co2 and l/ferts..as said only want my friend feeding when I’m away and topping up the tank..

Thanks again...

Oscar

Hi all,
.I was under the impression if leaving lights on while away on timer, would mean I would need to “keep”adding the l/co2 and l/ferts..
It is really choosing what is the least worst option. In the cappuccino analogy I want to concentrate on the coffee, not the froth.

It is a bit like <"emergency first aid">, so the question is what is the most important thing?

For me the the most important bit is that you want some plant growth, so you have to leave the lights on.

The plants you have should be fine for two weeks. You might have a bit more algae when you come back (and you will have a bit more plant growth), but I would expect things will look pretty much the same when you return.

I'm not a CO2, or liquid "CO2" user, and I don't add fertilisers on a regular basis. I'm happy to trade limited plant growth, with a range of "easy" species, for resilience and stability.

You can counteract CO2 limitation by having a <"floating or emergent plant">, it means that if you do have a fish death etc. you have some spare phytofiltration capacity.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
644CA480-6DC5-41D8-B934-DF44B6E5B442.jpeg
C7B4E03E-5401-404D-8C4A-BF66B0A4EB24.jpeg
6CAD80C0-B017-4742-B805-6DFAA7C5EA1F.jpeg
Hi Guys,
Just back from holiday and apart from a small amount of algae on glass we had no issues.
Thanks for you help on advice regarding maintenance while away, especially Darrel/ I’m learning all the time regarding this hobby.
I’ve attaches a couple of pictures,one is off Moss I have sub/ and emerged, I’m looking for it to continue growing emerged- is this possible?!
Anyway happy Saturday to everyone :thumbup:

Oscar

05B5CB85-2A98-4546-9DFD-5892977A8F15.jpeg
02B24F6B-1046-44C5-9B4A-DF325BD90F3C.jpeg
Not sure if good judgment or just the “tinkering” but re scaped slightly bringing the dominant stone to the foreground, even created a small cave that my apistos seem to love..

What do you guys think?!

Oscar

It was better before, the stone looks out of place.

You could Always create an cave with smaller pieces ? Or with Wood?

I see where you are observing from, as in replacement of background hardscape to foreground has changed the overall ‘ look’ of aquascape.... With the moving of this larger more character stone , the surrounding hard scape is slightly off scale..
I feel that ‘yes’ I could again re arranged the foreground to complement the change/ but feel the stone adds character/more interest , and when the plants establish - it will look more natural....I guess different stokes for different folks?!?! Again comments welcome as always :thumbup:
Oscar

The more I think about it , you guys may be right...I do like to have that character stone visible.... so I’m off to see if I can retrieve any more elephant skin stone at local LFS.. perhaps another small rescape is in order. I don’t want to change planting as all is established but perhaps just add some more hardscape might do the trick..

Again everyone thanks for the support/ advice :thumbup:
My issue seems to be tinkering with my aquascapes/ is there a medical term for this ;)

Oscar....

I think the rock is pretty cool, but I like rock being the dominant feature generally.
Maybe it's not an ideal placement, but I don't think it will look as dominant once the plants have grown in.
Don't let that stop you buying more rock though! In fact, it would be good to see what you bring back.

I think the rock is pretty cool, but I like rock being the dominant feature generally.
Maybe it's not an ideal placement, but I don't think it will look as dominant once the plants have grown in.
Don't let that stop you buying more rock though! In fact, it would be good to see what you bring back.
I’m in luck as there was several pieces, so after some deliberation I purchased them all ;)
Will this evening see what I can achieve, ..

Oscar.

Back