• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 900 - 1 Year Update . Thinking of a rescape soon.

You're right that some plants done like liquid carbon. How did the vallis do? It is one that classiclt doesn't like liquid carbon... that said I've never had any problem with it in a liquid carbon dose tank!

The vallis was only added last week to replace the ludwigia that melted with the liquid carbon too. It was a bit of a nuisance stem to maintain anyway but did provide some nice contrast. I don't know much about the vallis but thought it looked interesting. I'll be interested to see how it develops. The fish seem to like it, although something has been nipping the tops off some of them!

They should spread by runners from the base and would be classed as a root feeder... so they might be ok!

Hi,

That looks like severe NPK deficiency, what are you dosing?

Cheers,
T

I've been dosing The Aquascaper Complete Liquid @10ml/day from day one. Plant growth and health was previously was previously very good. I've since upped it to 15ml/day hoping it will improve things. I think the recommended dose is 20ml/day for a 200L high tech tank but I think that may be a bit OTT. The anubius was completely overshadowed by the h.pinn and trident fern until I trimmed them recently. Perhaps they were blocking it's access to ferts and light?

Picked up a few new tank additions at the weekend. First was a Twinstar Nano+. Don't care if it does anything or not, just fancied one. Second was 8 rummy nose tetras. These are awesome and wish I'd got them from the start. Such great swimmers!

Lastly was this little stunner!
IMG_5016.jpg

Oddly, I bought him back from the shop and couldn't see my golden ram anywhere. To this day he has not turned up. No idea how he could have disappeared so quickly.

I've really been struggling with all the co2 bubbles in the tank. Using an inline diffuser they really distract me from the rest of the tank. As soon as the co2 goes off the tank looks awesome and the fish seem so much happier and more active. Is a reactor the only solution to this?

Reactor sorted the bubbles in my tank. Like you, I found them distracting. Lovely Ram. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the hue back lighting, thinking of the same. Did you use the 1m light strip and did you attach to the back of the aquarium, cabinet or on the wall please?

Thanks

This weekend I decided to add a frosted white background and install some Philips Hue light strips behind the tank. I'm really pleased with the background as it reflects the white light and makes the whole tank look much brighter and cleaner rather than being able to see the sand colour wall through the glass. I also installed some ambient lighting to add a splash of colour and make the tank look a little more interesting when the lights are off. I've only had them running 3 hours before and after lights on as I don't know what effect they could have on algae? Presumably they will have little effect if I stick to colours that are not in the spectrum for plant growth?

Excuse the floating moss at the top of the wood. I've re-glued than down since!
View attachment 119435
View attachment 119437
View attachment 119435 View attachment 119434 View attachment 119436 View attachment 119439 View attachment 119438 View attachment 119437

Very nice

Well it's been over 5 months since an update. The tank has been through various high and low spots. All my rams died within a few months. I think one may have had a disease and infected the others, along with the apisto but I also think the cooler temps and conditions of an aquascape make it a tough life for some cichlids.
One day I came home from work to find a huge leaf stuck on the filter intake. This pretty much stopped all water flow and caused the co2 level to rise and gassed about 10 of my fish! Two rapid water changes saved the rest. Live and learn I suppose but shows how finely balanced these tanks are.

BBA has subsided but it still apparent in the tank although over the last couple of months things seem to have stabilised. The slow growers (buces, anubius, crypts) have been growing rapidly and need constant trimming. Some of the older fast growers became untidy or died leaving the tank lacking a bit of colour in my opinion.

The carpet at the front had too much fallen moss growing in it and I accidently pulled half of it out when trying to remove the moss - so the rest has gone.

Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with my first attempt at an aquarium. I think I've learned enough now to attempt a rescape soon.

Here's a video of how the tank looks today.

Even with all the mistakes it still looks incredible!

As does the room!

Great video! What did you use to film it?

Even with all the mistakes it still looks incredible!

As does the room!

Great video! What did you use to film it?

Thank you! I filmed it with a Fuji X-T3 mirrorless camera that I picked up a few weeks ago.

Back