• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 900 - 1 Year Update . Thinking of a rescape soon.

So a few weeks on and things have stabilised nicely. I've given the right hand side a bit of a tidy by removing some of the thin leaf plants (no idea what they were called!). I've recently increased the lighting back to 100% fading to 70% over the photo period now the diatoms have disappeared. Hoping they don't come back.

Fish seem happy and plants are growing well now. The inline co2 is definitely making a difference.

October-1-4.jpg
October-1.jpg
October-1-2.jpg
October-1-3.jpg

Really nice, looking spotless! Terrible diatoms for me ATM hoping they go away soon like yours! T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice, looking spotless! Terrible diatoms for me ATM hoping they go away soon like yours! T

Thanks.

I just took the advice from here and lowered the light intensity for a couple of weeks. I also bought 6 ottos and manually cleaned the rocks with a toothbrush. I was already changing 70% of the water twice a week anyway. Things improved very quickly. Hope they do for you too.

Last edited:
Cool, impressive regimen! I manage 50% once a week. I’ve got some H.Pinitifada growing and I don’t want to upset it by reducing my light

Got 8 Ottos last week they are awesome. My shrimp and SAEs weren’t really touching the diatoms but the Ottos are doing the business

79f77d25d0800b0914ea4eb653ed8f6e.jpg

Here's a little video update. A couple of weeks ago saw the addition of a pair of flame/fire red apistos. My gut told me not to add them due to aggression with the rams but oddly they all get on rather well considering there are 3 males rams, one make apisto and one female apisto. The male sometimes get a little defensive of his mate but she is holding eggs at the moment.
I have had a light sprinkling of BBA covering almost all plants. I have no idea where it has come from but it seems to have slowed now the co2 has been turned up even more. I'm not sure how to go about removing it all as it's on almost every leaf in the tank. Any suggestions? Spot treating isn't an option due to the amount of leaves covered. The video doesn't show it very well/at all.

Other than that the tank seems very healthy. Both plants and livestock growing well.

What's the Orange/Purple cichlid looking fish? Ignore that haha, I should read instead of watching videos. What a beautiful fish, never seen one before.

The plants look v.healthy on the video! I have a bit of hair algae at the moment, think it was due to daylight savings, messing up CO2. Most algae should settle if parameters are consistent. Do you use any liquid carbon?

That is a really good looking tank. Love the fish. Do you have cherry shrimps in there?

The plants look v.healthy on the video! I have a bit of hair algae at the moment, think it was due to daylight savings, messing up CO2. Most algae should settle if parameters are consistent. Do you use any liquid carbon?

I've got a bottle of TNC Liquid Carbon that I bought with the tank - I was originally going without a proper co2 kit but that soon changed and I never used it. I heard you can use it for spot dosing but do you know how I would I use it to help remove BBA in my tank?

That is a really good looking tank. Love the fish. Do you have cherry shrimps in there?

Yes there are hundreds of cherry shrimp. I started with 32 but they have babies all the time. The German Ram spends most of his time hunting them out of the carpet at the front and the apisto has a go every now and then. They still seem to be out-breed the rate they get eaten so it's free food basically.

Just put it in syringe and spot it on to the BBA will kill it off are you putting any of the liquid cardo in the tank

Just put it in syringe and spot it on to the BBA will kill it off are you putting any of the liquid cardo in the tank

The problem is there is a only a light amount of BBA but its on almost every leaf of every plant in the left side of the tank. If I spot it onto all of the BBA I fear it will gas the fish.

I haven't put any of it in the tank before.

Just do a bit at a time over the next week or two the day before your water change I like to put a little I n the tank in genral it seems to help keep algee at bay mines in a pump and I do one pump when I put my ferts in every day

Just do a bit at a time over the next week or two the day before your water change I like to put a little I n the tank in genral it seems to help keep algee at bay mines in a pump and I do one pump when I put my ferts in every day

I've read that it's the glutaraldehyde in the liquid carbon that kills off the BBA, but that you need to overdose (by 2/3 times) to really affect it. If I dose just the recommended amount of liquid carbon won't that increase my co2 levels too much if I keep injecting co2 at the same rate I currently am? and will this be enough glutaraldehyde to affect the BBA?

I've read that it's the glutaraldehyde in the liquid carbon that kills off the BBA, but that you need to overdose (by 2/3 times) to really affect it. If I dose just the recommended amount of liquid carbon won't that increase my co2 levels too much if I keep injecting co2 at the same rate I currently am? and will this be enough glutaraldehyde to affect the BBA?

Co2 and Liquid Carbon are two different things. They don't add together to make more co2 so if you maxed with both you would just have more carbon in general but still the exact same amount of carbon dioxide. LC converts to a source of carbon but not to carbon dioxide the gas if that makes sense. Best way to keep on the right side of both is to work out the correct dosage of LC that should go in your size tank per day and put this in a syringe or pipette and dose it directly on the affected area. Turn off your filters so water movement isn't blowing the LC away from where you're spot dosing it so it has as long a contact time as possible with algae.

If it's on old leaves and you have new growth just trim the leaf off and concentrate spot dosing on new growth and any hardscape that is getting infested. The algae will change a red/purple colour and begin to die off.

Co2 and Liquid Carbon are two different things. They don't add together to make more co2 so if you maxed with both you would just have more carbon in general but still the exact same amount of carbon dioxide. LC converts to a source of carbon but not to carbon dioxide the gas if that makes sense. Best way to keep on the right side of both is to work out the correct dosage of LC that should go in your size tank per day and put this in a syringe or pipette and dose it directly on the affected area. Turn off your filters so water movement isn't blowing the LC away from where you're spot dosing it so it has as long a contact time as possible with algae.

If it's on old leaves and you have new growth just trim the leaf off and concentrate spot dosing on new growth and any hardscape that is getting infested. The algae will change a red/purple colour and begin to die off.

Excellent. Many thanks for the explanation! I’ve just done a 70% water change and dosed 4ml (1ml pet 50l) onto a couple of the worst affected leaves. I had switched the filter on by this point though. I’ll try without in future.

Back