• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper plant food and red plants

Keep it natural

Seedling
I’ve been using the aquascaper liquid plant food for a few years now but only recently began using red plants in my aquariums would adding extra iron to my dosing regime help with colouring up the red plants or would it be a waste of resources ?
Thanks

Ahh fair enough tank is around 60 l
pressurised co2
light 6 hours per day
2 x aquael leddy smart plant 8000k output each
4 ml aquascaper complete liquid plant food per day
Mix of Tropica substrate and stratum
Hard water out the tap

colouring up the red plants
This is also very much a reflection of the lighting used, eg, Twinstar S renders reds very well (but also yellows greens - less noticeable with the dark greens than the greens which already have a yellow hue, eg, MC, Micranthemum umbrosum, Bacopa australis etc)

Unless your 8K lighting has some exceptional LEDs included, I suspect your reds will remain somewhat subdued

Filipe Oliveira, Sascha Hoyer (& others) maintain that for most (commonly used) aquarium plants, nitrate limitation will more reliably increase reds, than iron (over) supplementation

Hi all,
Filipe Oliveira, Sascha Hoyer (& others) maintain that for most (commonly used) aquarium plants nitrate limitation will more reliably increase reds, than iron (over) supplementation
That would be my guess as well, plenty of light (to increase anthocyanin production) and lower nitrate levels to avoid over-production of chlorophyll.

There is a thread on it <"What's the secret to keeping Red plants Red?">.

cheers Darrel

Back